Free bedroom cleaning checklist printable
A bedroom should be a place of relaxation and comfort – a personal oasis where you can escape the stresses of the outside world. But all too often, bedrooms become cluttered and messy, making them anything but relaxing. If you’re looking to get your bedroom clean and organized in a short amount of time, try using this ultimate bedroom cleaning checklist!
Why it’s important to have a clean bedroom
Having a clean bedroom is important for many reasons. A clean bedroom invites comfort, and relaxation, so it’s important to keep yours looking its best! Not only will having a cleaner place to sleep make you more comfortable, but it also helps promote better health by allowing you to avoid allergens that can affect your breathing or that may be present in dust.
You may be wondering how you can get your bedroom clean in a very short amount of time. Don’t worry! With these tips, it’ll take you less than an hour to complete the entire process.
The next time you decide to give your bedroom a good cleaning, try implementing this all-inclusive checklist to make sure that nothing is missed.
Related: Thinking whole house? Get our House Cleaning Checklist
Cleaning supply checklist for bedroom
Before you get started cleaning your bedroom here are the items you should have before diving in.
- Vacuum cleaner
- All-purpose cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- Carpet cleaner
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent
- Fabric softener or dryer sheets
Steps to take before cleaning the bedroom
Remember the following tips when you are prepping for your bedroom clean:
- Humidity can make dust and allergens worse, so be sure to turn on your air conditioner or get a dehumidifier if it’s too hot outside.
- Make sure that all of your electronics are off and unplugged.
- Close the blinds if it is sunny outside, as sunlight can damage your soft furnishings and clothes. If you have pets, make sure to get any hair or dirt from their paws before they enter your bedroom.
- You should also be aware of what products you are using in your bedroom at the time. For example, don’t use harsh chemicals or strong-scented cleaning products that could irritate your allergies. You can find non-toxic cleaners at home stores like Target and Wal-Mart, as well as online retailers like Amazon.
Checklist for cleaning a bedroom
Cleaning a bedroom is an easy process when you work off of one of our cleaning checklists, this list will cover all of the normal cleaning and some bedroom deep cleaning checklist items. So let’s get to it quickly so you can have more free time.
Open the windows
Turn off the heat, open the curtains and open up the windows. This will allow fresh air into the master bedroom and is much nicer than an air freshener.
Get that laundry basket and start a load. While you start cleaning put your first load of laundry in. Remove all dirty clothes from your room and toss them in a hamper or basket (keep dirty clothes separate from clean ones). Make sure to read the label instructions. Let all of your laundry dry completely, then put it away.
Clean the bedding
While you are at it strip the bed linens and get them in a laundry hamper for the next load. There is nothing like having clean fresh sheets when your room is completely cleaned.
This includes duvet cover, bed skirts, and mattress cover. Remove sheets and pillowcases from pillows and wash them in your washing machine.
Sweep up any dust, dirt, or pet hair particles off the floor
Grab one of these best vacuums under $200 or our top mop for laminate flooring and wipe up any dust bunnies that are under the bed any other furniture that is in the room.
Move furniture away from walls so you can clean behind them if necessary. A clean floor is a must for any clean bedroom.
Dust all surfaces with a dry microfiber cloth
Dust gathers everywhere. there’s no escaping it. Make sure you wipe down picture frames dresser tops and baseboards to ensure you have removed all of the possible places dust gathers.
Dust walls and other surfaces
Get everything out of the way so that you can clean behind the areas that are hard to clean when furniture pieces are in the way (e.g. reading chair, light fixtures).
Another option is using dusting spray a few times a year (like during spring cleaning and fall cleaning). Depending on your preferences you may want to do it more often. You can consider getting air filters for your bedrooms if you are wanting to keep the dust to a minimum.
Clean any glass surfaces
Clean your mirror with a microfiber cloth or glass cleaner, we find using newspaper with glass cleaner gets the streaks out.
Wipe down visible surfaces like walls, blinds, door handles, light switches/fixtures
If you are looking to do a deep clean you can take this to an extreme by wiping down the blades of the ceiling fan, removing the light bulbs, and wiping them down to remove dust. These are areas that we forget but can still have a lot of dust on them.
Organize and tidy your closet and other belongings (e.g. shoes, jewelry)
Closets can be a dumping ground for many bedrooms. Take the time to clean out your closets and donate any clothes you haven’t worn in the past year, don’t forget to do this for your kids’ closets as well!
Then sort through what is left over. Put away items you won’t wear again and make sure items are hung up properly so they will be ready to wear when you need them.
Once the cleaning is done its time for the final steps. Empty the trash can and take it out to the curb immediately.
Each bedroom has its own layout and issues to deal with. Some rooms will be easy and others will be a hot mess. Spend some time writing down the other items on our free download.
How to make a clean bedroom
The next time you decide to give your bedroom a deep clean, try following this checklist:
- Clear everything off the bedroom floor and fold clothes neatly.
- Vacuum or sweep away any dust that might have accumulated on the floor.
- Next, use a damp cloth to wipe down the furniture in your room, including nightstands, bedside tables, dressers, desks, chairs, cabinets, headboards, etc.
- Wash the bedding in your room, including duvets, sheets, comforters, pillowcases, and anything else that is removable.
- Wipe down the walls of your bedroom with a damp cloth or Lysol wipes. Be sure to get into any nooks and crannies where dirt might have accumulated.
- Empty all trash cans and replace any used cleaning products.
How to keep your bedroom clean on a regular basis
Once you have completed the steps above, it’s important that you continue to stay on top of keeping your room clean. Try the following tips:
Make sure all laundry is picked up and put away once it is dry. If you have clothes on your floor, consider using a hamper to store them in until you are ready to wash them. This will help prevent wrinkling and other damage that can occur when clothes are left out for too long.
Put shoes away right after you take them off at the door to avoid tracking dirt into your bedroom. Be sure that you have a pair of slippers or house shoes that you only wear in your bedroom, so there is no confusion about where they should go. If your bedroom tends to be dusty, consider getting some shoe covers to protect them from any dust or allergens that might be present.
Make sure the curtains and blinds in your bedroom are closed during the day to keep out excess light and heat. This will help you save on your air conditioning and heating bills, too!
Organizing your bedroom
Having an organized bedroom can also make it easier for you to stay clean. Here are some storage solutions that can be used in any room:
Armoires – These pieces of furniture provide a great place to store clothes and linens, even if you don’t have an extremely large bedroom. They usually come with hangers and shelves inside, so you can organize your clothes however you like.
Baskets – If your bedroom is small or doesn’t have a lot of storage space, baskets are a great way to get your clothes off of the floor. They can be tucked under the bed or held inside of an armoire, and they also make it easy to keep your room tidy by always having a place for everything.
Chests – Chests are excellent for keeping out-of-season clothing and personal items in so that they don’t take up as much space. They can be placed under the bed or in a corner, and they also come with built-in drawers that can be used for smaller items like socks and underwear.
Bookcases – If you have a lot of books and want to display them around your room, consider getting a bookcase. They come in all shapes and sizes, so you can find one that fits perfectly in your space.
Shelving units – Shelves are great for maximizing the storage space in any bedroom. They provide an easy way to keep books or other items out of sight, while creating a decorative element at the same time.
The benefits of a clean bedroom
The benefits of a clean bedroom are numerous. A clean bedroom is aesthetically pleasing, relaxing, and makes it easier to sleep at night.
- Having a bedroom that looks good can also help your self-esteem. It’s important to have a positive environment that will help you feel motivated all day long.
- Having an organized room can make it easier for you to relax after a long day of work or school. If everything has its place, you won’t feel overwhelmed when it’s time to go to bed at night.
- A clean bedroom can also have some serious health benefits. By getting rid of dirt and allergens, you will be helping your immune system function properly so that you don’t get sick as often.
How to Keep Your Bedroom Clean on a Weekly Basis
Empty all trash cans and replace any used cleaning products. This is the first step in creating an organized, clean bedroom that will make it much easier for you to relax when it’s time to go to bed at night. If you notice that the bedroom has a bad smell, it might be time to clean out your closet or under your bed. This is an excellent opportunity to donate any clothes and other items that you don’t need anymore.
Once everything has been picked up and put away, do a quick sweep of the room so there aren’t any loose items on the floor. Give your pillows a quick fluff, and then you’re ready to go!
Cleaning products that will make your bedroom smell great
When it’s time to pick up some cleaning supplies for your bedroom, consider purchasing these three products:
Vinegar is a natural deodorizer – If something stinks in your bedroom, a quick spray of vinegar will do the trick. You can also mix it with some water to make a homemade upholstery cleaner for your bedspread or couch.
Lemon juice is another natural deodorizer – If you don’t have vinegar on hand, lemon juice is an excellent alternative. It’s also a great addition to homemade household cleaners.
Baking soda is an excellent all-purpose cleaner – If you need to remove an odor from any furniture in your room, baking soda will come in handy! It’s also useful for cleaning the carpets or getting rid of stains on your mattress.
Surround yourself with furniture that will make your bedroom feel like a relaxing oasis
If you want to get organized and de-cluttered, it’s important to start with your furniture. This is why investing in some quality storage pieces can be extremely beneficial for creating an organized room that will help you sleep better at night.
A chaise lounger or sofa – These pieces of furniture can help you relax and unwind after a long day. Instead of sitting on the bed, consider sitting comfortably in your living room or den to take some time for yourself.
You can also get creative with other areas in your bedroom – For example, if you have a large hallway, situate a small container in the corner to store extra clothes.
An ottoman – If you have a small living room, an ottoman can double as another piece of storage and a table for your television or lamps. This is a great way to make use of space in a bedroom that may not have been designed with storage in mind.
Tips for staying organized while cleaning your bedroom
- Empty all of your drawers and closets onto your bed so that everything can be sorted through. Don’t forget about those spaces under the bed!
- Sort through each item and decide if it’s something you actually use (and want to keep) or something you could donate/sell/recycle. Remember the rule of thumb: if you haven’t used it in over a year, get rid of it!
- Once every wardrobe and shelf is empty make sure to give everything a good clean! You can either wash fabrics in your machine or use our hack to make cleaning fabric much easier by adding a zip lock bag!
- Place everything back in its designated spot and enjoy how much cleaner your room looks!
- If the task seems too daunting, just focus on one area at a time to gradually get that bedroom clean and organized. Start with your nightstand to declutter all of the items you use before bedtime.
Printable bedroom cleaning checklist
A well-organized and clean bedroom is crucial for a good night’s sleep. This article provides a helpful checklist to get your bedroom clean in no time! If you are looking for more detailed instructions, be sure to download our free bedroom cleaning checklist pdf.