Download Free Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
A hallmark of a clean house is a clean kitchen, but it can be a challenge to keep up with. This free printable kitchen cleaning checklist takes the guesswork out of it. Making sure you’re staying on top of your daily weekly and monthly kitchen cleaning tasks.
Kitchen cleaning supplies
To keep a clean kitchen you will need to have several things on hand. We use these cleaning supplies on a regular basis to keep the kitchen clean:
- Hot water
- Paper towel
- Mr. Clean Erasers
- Swiffer duster
- Cleaning microfiber cloths
- Spray bottle with white vinegar (great for removing build up)
- Cleaning products (you can make your own cleaner, or use an all purpose cleaner)
- Stainless steel cleaner or a microfiber cloth
- Handheld vacuum
- Warm water and a bucket
- Elbow grease
Visit our article for more house cleaning supplies (it’s a free checklist).
Kitchen cleaning tips
If you want a clean kitchen, or you just need your kitchen clean quickly, there are few things you can do. Consider these kitchen cleaning hacks that you can use to clean your kitchen fast if someone is coming over with little notice.
Empty the sink. We got this from our friend who is a chef, so she knows something about keeping a clean kitchen. When your sink is empty it gives off a feel like everything is taken care of. Plus in contrast to a sink full of dishes it just looks better.
Have a place for your papers. Kitchen counters are often the source of the daily mail and other household things. Keep a basket nearby, we have on on our kitchen island, so that you can throw everything into it in less than a minute and move it out of the way. This is a quick cheat to cleaning a kitchen island.
Keep the floor clean. Your floor is the largest area of the kitchen and people always look down. So make sure you mop the kitchen floor with some soapy water or give it a good vacuum to make sure there are no crumbs.
Want to clean the whole house? Get our house cleaning checklist.
Daily cleaning schedule
One of the things I learned from cleaning a hoarders home is that it’s best to keep on top of things.
There are certain things you should do as a homeowner every day to ensure you keep a clean kitchen. Some of these may not seem like a big deal but doing these daily will help. If you leave them, the daily grime can build up and can get a lot worse.
These should all be a part of your cleaning binder so that you have any easy to use kitchen cleaning schedule that’s readily available for you to use.
Daily kitchen cleaning checklist
- Wash dishes and cookware after your meal. Allow them to dry first if hand washing.
- Put dishes away.
- Put away leftover food. Leftovers are a great way to cut down on meal planning.
- Wipe countertops
- Clean up any spills
- Disinfect kitchen counters (helps avoid cross contamination)
- Wipe table
- Sweep the floor. A clean floor is one of the easiest ways to keep a clean looking kitchen.
- Empty countertop compost bin
- Put wash towels in laundry
Done with the kitchen? Get our how to clean a bathroom checklist.
Weekly kitchen cleaning schedule
This list of weekly cleaning tasks are the ones that you either don’t get done on a daily basis, or that don’t need your daily attention. Set aside some time at night or on the weekend to check off these easy yet important tasks. A few minutes a day to do each of these tasks can help keep these under control.
None of these are big jobs, and the more you do them the faster you can get at then. Some of these weekly cleaning items may not apply depending on your house.
Weekly kitchen cleaning checklist
- Clean kitchen cabinet doors
- Wipe cabinet handles and knobs
- Clean chairs and stools
- Make a shopping list
- Make a meal plan
- Clean microwave
- Wipe down kitchen appliances and handles
- Wipe down refrigerator shelves
- Throw out inedible food
- Take out the garbage and recycling bins
- Organize storage
- Dust baseboard
- Dust the light fixtures
- Dust any other tops of cabinets and other surfaces. The tops are where all the dust settles, if you let it combine with the grease that goes into the air from cooking you will need to spend a lot of time scrubbing them. Save yourself some time down the road and give the tops a good dusting.
- Vacuum the floor (if you have a wood floor)
- Mop the floor
- Wash windows
- Wash window sills
- Wipe vent hoods
- Clean tap
- Clean the kitchen stainless steel sink
- Dust and clean window ledges
Check out our entire weekly cleaning schedule here.
Monthly kitchen cleaning schedule
These monthly kitchen cleaning tasks are great for keeping on top of the things that don’t need a lot of attention. Monthly tasks are the ones that you need to more than the once a year kitchen deep cleaning, but don’t need to include them in your weekly cleaning items.
You will want to take care of these on a monthly basis to keep a tidy kitchen space. Here are all the things you need to do in your monthly cleaning chores to make sure that your kitchen is properly maintained and running well. All of these chores on your own may take a couple of hours, but team up and you can get them done a lot faster. Certain of these items you can do in alternating months it depends on how often they get used.
Monthly kitchen cleaning checklist
- Clean kitchen cabinets inside and out
- Update pantry inventory and organized pantry
- Update freezer inventory. Keeping a freezer inventory sheet is a great way to make sure you are on top of the food in your freezer and not letting things sit too long. It also gives you an idea of what to eat and when to reorder items.
- Clean ovens: You can run the self cleaning feature if you have it or you can use an oven cleaning product.
- Clean coffee maker
- Clean toaster
- Clean the kitchen sink drain (it’s better than having to unclog the sink later)
- Empty the ice machine
- Wash standing mats or other kitchen area rugs
- Disinfect the fridge.
- Disinfect your freezer.
- Descale the Keurig.
- Organize cabinets.
- Organize drawers.
- Refill dish soap and hand soap containers
- Dust light fixtures.
- Replace burnt out light bulbs.
- Clean refrigerator coils (pull out, unplug and vacuum
Check out more of our top cleaning tips here.
Free printable kitchen cleaning checklist
This printable checklist covers the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning items you will need to keep up with in your kitchen. It can feel like a lot at first, but the more you do it the easier it gets. That way you are rushing to do a fast clean of the whole house the next time a friend is popping over. Once or twice a year you will want to remove all of the items in your kitchen and do a deep cleaning. We usually leave ours on our spring cleaning checklist, but it’s worth doing!