Today I’m going to blow your mind with how to clean fireplace glass. Not only am I going to blow your mind, but I’m going to show you a natural way for cleaning your fireplace and it’s 100% free.
This method was shown to me by a friend, and when he told me, I just looked at him in disbelief because it seemed so ridiculous (Which is why we are going to put some pictures of doing this). But after I tried it once it’s the only way I have cleaned the inside of my fireplace door for the past 10 years. Best of all it hasn’t cost me a penny.
What you will need to clean the inside glass of a fireplace?
For this DIY fireplace door cleaning project you will need a few things. This is by far the best way to clean fireplace glass doors that I have ever seen. Here is what you will need to clean the fireplace glass.
- Bowl of warm water (I use a glass bowl with 2-3 cups of water)
- Paper towel
- Cold ash from the fireplace
That’s it. All things you have in your house right now. This is by far the easiest homemade wood stove glass cleaner you will ever see!
What is on my wood fireplace door?
It’s probably best you know how a fireplace door gets this dirty. If you don’t care, you can skip to the next part.
Essentially the crusty black stuff on the inside of your fireplace door is soot and creosote. Because I’m not a scientist (or play one on TV) here is what I could find about why this black stuff shows up.
As wood burns slowly it gives of smoke, that smoke contains a substance that creates creosote. The main cause of this is wet or unseasoned wood. This smoke will build up with soot on the glass door of your wood fireplace and make it a mess. (thanks to M.U. for this info).
Thankfully this black stuff isn’t as bad as black toilet mold, but still it’s pretty ugly.
How do you remove creosote from glass?
Over time the soot and creosote build up on your glass door and it leaves your fireplace looking like the face of the chimney sweeper from Mary Poppins (I want to say his name was Burt….).
When your fireplace is a focal point dirty glass door just gives off a messy vibe. The easiest way to get your fireplace looking nice is to clean it.
And the most cost effective way to clean your fireplace is by using the cold ash in the fireplace and some water. This is the easiest way to clean soot off fireplace glass too, just in case you were wondering.
How do you clean the glass door on a wood burning fireplace?
Ok lets get down to business. Here is how you clean your fireplace glass door naturally and for free.
- First make sure the ashes or cold. I like to give it a day since I last had a fire, because I’m working with newspaper and want to make sure there is no chance of burning myself.
- Second, open the glass door and lay down newspaper. This will be a little messy and we don’t want any drippings to land on the hearth
- Third, get your bowl of warm water and dip the newspaper into it. Then dip it into the cold ash of the fireplace (you can see the video below for a visual)
- Fourth, rub the wet newspaper and ash on the inside of the glass door of the fireplace. Warning, it’s going to look worse before it gets better.
- Fifth, use the water and ash to scrub off the build up on the door. You will start to see if come off, rub it in a circular motion and keep dipping the newspaper into the water and ash to really cover it.
- Sixth, once the fireplace glass door has been cleaned you can get your paper towel to remove the ash and water mixture.
- Finally, get a clean piece of newspaper, crumple it up and use it to do a final clean on the inside of the door to get rid of any streaks that still might be there.
Wood fireplace glass cleaner
If all of this felt like a hard way to do it (it’s really not, but I get that playing with water and ash isn’t everyone’s favorite past time) then you can also buy several good glass fireplace door cleaners that will do the trick. Here are a few of them.
Which fireplace place glass door cleaner is best?
If you are searching through the Amazon and wondering which product to buy (there are quite a few). I would like to help by narrowing the choices down for you.