All The Types of Shower Heads You Didn’t Know Existed
When it comes to types of shower heads, there are seemingly endless options on the market these days. From traditional shower heads with a single stream of water to more modern options like rainfall shower heads, there’s definitely a shower head out there for everyone. But with so many choices available, how do you know which one is right for you?
Showering is one of the leading ways we use water in the home. In fact, the average person in the United States uses nearly 40 gallons of water per day showering! While most people are aware of some of the different types of shower heads available, such as a standard fixed showerhead or a handheld showerhead, there are many more options out there that you may not know.
In this article, we will explore 12 different types of showerheads that you can install in your home.
Standard shower head
The first type we will explore is the standard shower head. This is the most common type of showerhead and it is installed on a standard shower arm. The stream of water comes out of the shower head in a single, straight line. This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want a quick, efficient shower at a minimal cost.
- Suitable for people who want a quick shower
- Lower cost
- Only one stream of water
- May not be as relaxing as some of the other types of shower heads
Fixed shower head
The second types of shower head is the fixed shower head. Fixed shower heads are installed on a fixed shower arm, which means they cannot be moved around like a handheld showerhead. The stream of water comes out of the showerhead in a single, straight line.
This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want a consistent stream of water while they shower as the spray patterns are not adjustable. This actual shower head is considered to be the regular shower head in most homes.
- A consistent stream of water
- Does not move around like a handheld showerhead
- Suitable for people who want a fixed showerhead
- Fixed shower heads are one of the easier installations from your existing shower head
- Water may not be as soothing as the other showerhead types.
Rainfall shower head
The third type is the rainfall shower head, also known as a rain shower head. These style of shower panels simulates rainfall by sending a continuous stream of water down over your body. This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want to relax in the shower and enjoy a more natural showering experience.
- Sends a continuous stream of water down over your body
- Mimics a rainfall shower
- Very relaxing
- May take up more space than some of the other showerhead types
- Can be more expensive than some of the other showerhead types
Related: Rainfall Shower Head Vs Regular
Handheld shower head
The fourth type is the handheld shower heads. These types of shower heads are detachable from the fixed shower arm and can be moved around to wherever you need it. The stream of water comes out of the shower head can be adjustable depending on the type you get. This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want to be able to move the showerhead around their body.
Handheld showerheads are a great way to save water and energy while still getting a powerful shower. They can be used to target specific areas when showering, which can help save water and energy. Many handheld showerheads come with different settings and features, so it is important to read the instructions carefully before use.
- Can be moved around the body
- Target specific areas when showering
- Multiple streams of water
- Many come with different settings and features
- Save water and energy if you get a low flow shower head option
- It may not be as calming as the other showerhead types
- Some people may find them difficult to use
- May not provide as much water pressure as traditional showerheads
Related reading: Standard Shower Rod Size: Types and Styles For Your Bathroom
Massaging shower head
The fifth type is the massaging shower head. This type of shower head has multiple streams of water that come out of it and it also has a built-in massage feature. This style is best suited for people who are seeking a relaxing massage while they shower.
A massage showerhead is a type of showerhead that has multiple streams of water and a built-in massage feature. This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want a massage while they shower. The massage feature can be very relaxing and help to ease muscle tension. Massage showerheads can be more expensive than some of the other types of showerheads, but they are worth the investment if you want a relaxing and unique showering experience.
If you’re looking for a luxurious shower experience, consider adding a massage shower head to your setup. These shower heads come with a variety of settings that will send pulsing streams of water onto your body, providing a gentle but invigorating massage. Many people find that the massaging action helps to improve circulation and relieve tension headaches and other muscle pain. Just be sure to take care when selecting a massage shower head, as some models can be quite powerful and may cause discomfort if they’re not properly adjusted.
- Multiple streams of water
- Built-in massage feature
- Relaxing and unique showering experience
- beneficial in easing muscle tension
- More expensive
- Water may not be as soothing depending on the settings
- May require additional installation or plumbing to accommodate the massage function
LED shower head
The sixth type is the LED shower head. This style of showerhead has LED lights that will change colors as the water flows out of the showerhead. It’s a pretty cool experience. If you are looking for a unique shower experience, this LED screen style set up is pretty cool. The water comes out of the shower panels through either a ceiling mount, or a overhead shower arm and provides a unique showering set up.
- Has LED lights that change colors
- Fun and unique
- Some have temperature control
- More expensive
Dual shower head
The seventh type is the dual showerhead. This dual shower head set up has two separate streams of water that come out of it. If you like the idea of being able to shower with multiple streams of water from a single point. This is a great option. Personally, it’s a nice feature and many have one that is detachable so you can get a fuller shower experience. The nice part of this dual shower headset up is that you have best of both worlds. You have the wall mount showerhead, with an optional hand held shower heads and a rain showerhead. So you can enjoy both different types of showers in a single shower set up.
- Separate streams of water
- Can shower with multiple streams of water
- May be more expensive than some of the other showerhead types
- Because the water is dispersed in a wider area, it may not be as relaxing as other showerhead types
Body spray shower head
Oh man, what a setup! Body spray showerheads are installed in the wall and have multiple streams of water that come out of them. This type of showerhead is best suited for people who want to be able to move around the shower and have multiple streams of water hitting their body. It combines several of our previously mentioned shower head types into one. If you are looking for a big upgrade this could be the right one for you.
- Multiple streams of water
- Can be installed on the wall
- Multiple spray options
- Some have temperature control
- More expensive than others on the list
- Water may not be as soothing
- Could need a plumber to install
- May require special plumbing
Related reading: Shower Curtain Sizes: Everything For Setting Up Your Shower
Wall Mount Shower Heads
Wall mount shower heads offer a sleek and modern look that can be a great addition to any bathroom. They often come with a variety of spray settings, so you can customize your experience each time you shower. They are also popular in hotel rooms as of late.
- A sleek and modern look that can be a great addition to any bathroom
- Variety of spray settings, so you can customize your experience each time you shower
- Some models may be difficult to install
- They may not offer as much coverage as other types
Low Flow Shower Head
Low flow shower heads are designed to save water without sacrificing performance. These can be a great option for those who want to conserve water without sacrificing the quality of their shower. They are also common in Rvs and other places where you want to use less water in the shower.
- Low flow shower heads conserve water without sacrificing performance
- High water efficiency
- Lower water bills
- This can be a great option for those who want to conserve water without sacrificing the quality of their shower
- Commonly an RV shower head
- Some people may find that a low flow heads do not provide enough pressure.
- Others may find that the water temperature is not as consistent with a low-flow shower head.
Dual Rain Shower heads
Looking for a luxurious rainfall shower experience? Look no further than a rain showerhead double! These dual shower heads delivers twice the rainfall of a standard showerhead, providing an incredibly relaxing and invigorating bathing experience.
If you’re looking to upgrade your current shower setup to more of a h, a dual rain showerhead is a great option. They can be installed relatively easily and don’t require any major plumbing changes. Plus, they come in a variety of styles to match any bathroom décor.
When shopping for a rain showerhead double, keep in mind that not all models are created equal. Some may have more jets or a different spray pattern than others. There are also some that come with additional features like massaging jets or a hand-held showerhead.
Be sure to do your research to find the perfect rain showerhead double for your needs and budget. You’ll be glad you did when you’re enjoying your next rainfall shower!
Rain showerhead doubles are a great way to turn your bathroom into a personal spa retreat. With their relaxing rainfall design and wide variety of styles, they’re sure to enhance your showering experience.
- Relaxing and invigorating bathing experience
- Can be installed relatively easily
- Available in a variety of styles to match any bathroom decor
- Some models come with additional features like massaging jets or a hand-held showerhead
- More expensive than a standard showerhead
- Not all models are created equal – some may have more jets or a different spray pattern than others
- Additional features like massaging jets or a hand-held showerhead can add to the cost
Bar Mount Shower Heads
Bar mount shower heads provide a stylish and convenient way to enjoy your shower, and they come in a variety of different styles to suit any taste. They are typically mounted on the wall. Most bar mount shower heads have an adjustable arm so you can position the shower head at the perfect height for your shower.
They come in a variety of different styles, including traditional, contemporary, and even vintage-inspired designs. There are also a variety of different finishes available, so you can find a style that matches your bathroom décor.
- Stylish and convenient way to enjoy your shower
- Comes in a variety of different styles to suit any taste
- Can be installed on a ceiling or other surface
- Most bar mount shower heads have an adjustable arm
- May not match certain bathroom decors
- Can be difficult to install
High-pressure shower heads
A high-pressure shower head is a shower head that uses more water pressure than a traditional shower head. This can result in a more intense shower experience, as the water is hitting the body with more force. High-pressure shower heads are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and can be installed on most standard showers.
There are both pros and cons to using a high-pressure shower head. Some people may find that the increased water pressure results in a more enjoyable showering experience. However, others may find that the high water pressure is too intense, or that it uses too much water.
Filtered shower heads
Shower heads with filters are becoming more popular as people become more aware of the dangers of chlorine and other chemicals in tap water. Chlorine can cause skin and eye irritation. By using a filtered shower head, you can remove these harmful chemicals from your water before you bathe or shower. These types can be beneficial if you live in the country and aren’t sure of your water quality, or if you just want the purest water showering experience. This is a great option if you have hard water and want to prevent mineral deposit build up on your shower nozzel.
- Filtered shower heads remove harmful chemicals from your water before you bathe or shower
- Can help reduce skin and eye irritation
- Some people find that filtered shower heads decrease the water pressure in their shower
- Filters need to be replaced regularly to maintain effectiveness
- More expensive than traditional shower heads
Sunflower shower head
The sunflower shower head is designed to provide a more relaxing experience by providing a softer flow of water. If you’re looking for a way to wind down after a long day, this could be the perfect option for you.
The sunflower shower head is also a great choice if you have sensitive skin, as the softer water flow can help to avoid irritation. If you’re not a fan of strong pressure, this may be the perfect option for you as well. With a variety of different settings, you can find the perfect level of pressure to suit your needs.
So, if you’re looking for a shower head that can provide a more relaxing experience, the sunflower shower head may be the perfect option for you. With a variety of different settings, you can find the perfect level of pressure to suit your needs, making it a great choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Softer flow of water, which is gentler on sensitive skin
- More affordable than some of the other options available
- Limited settings
- Unique look that may not be suited for your bathroom design
Spa shower head
A spa shower head can provide a luxurious and relaxing experience. These shower heads often have multiple settings that allow you to customize your shower, such as a massage setting that uses pulsating water to stimulate your muscles. They can also have a rainfall setting that simulates the feeling of standing in a gentle rain shower.
If you’re looking for a refreshing and invigorating shower, opt for a high-pressure shower head. These shower heads can provide a powerful stream of water that will leave you feeling clean and refreshed in just minutes.
Navy Shower Head
Navy showerheads were designed to save water for the Navy, and they are incredibly efficient. They have a small hole in the center of the shower head, which conserves water while still providing good pressure. Many people who have switched to Navy shower heads find that they save money on their water bills and enjoy the strong spray.
- Saves water
- Provides good pressure
- Some people find the design to be too small
- No customizable experience
Types of Shower Heads Final Thoughts
When it comes to shower heads, there are a variety of different types to choose from that can each create a unique experience. If you’re looking for a shower head that saves water, the hand held shower head with a massager is a great option. It’s efficient and provides good pressure, but some people find the design to be too small. If you’re looking for a customizable experience, there are many other types of shower heads to choose from that will suit your needs.