Shingles are an essential consideration for anyone who is looking to get their roof repaired or replaced. There are several different types of roof shingles to choose from, including metal, wood shake, and asphalt. Each of these types of shingles for roofing has its pros and cons, which you should consider before making a purchase decision.
Table of Contents
Solar Roof Shingles
Solar shingles are parts of a roof that can transform solar energy into electricity. Roofing experts install these shingles on parts of your house that receive lots of sun exposure so that they can collect energy for your home. A set of solar shingles is a great investment because it will pay for itself over time by generating electricity for your home.
- A great investment
- Generates electricity for your home
- Part of the green energy movement
- The price is higher than standard asphalt shingles
- May not be desired by all homeowners
- Lack of curb appeal
3 Tab Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt roofing shingles are one of the most common types of shingles available on the market today, particularly in hotter climates. This is because asphalt shingles are affordable and lightweight, making them easier to install during inclement weather.
A 3 Tab Asphalt shingle is designed to look like the standard style of shingle, but they are made from an asphalt and fiberglass mat blend. Asphalt shingles provide good protection against UV rays that can damage the roof over time and during heavy weather conditions. In addition, they are the most affordable shingle on the list.
- The possible Lifespan of 40 years
- Easy installation
- Limited Lifespan
- Wears down over time
Architectural shingles or laminated shingles are the most high-end type of roofing available on the market today. They cost more than standard asphalt shingles, but they also last twice as long and require less maintenance over time. These dimensional shingles are made up of two asphalt shingles strips that are laminated together, giving them more durability to the elements. In addition, these laminate shingles provide a nice textured look to a roof as opposed to the three-tab asphalt shingles. If you are looking for an upgrade to your asphalt shingle roof, this is an excellent option and is one of the more popular roofing materials used.
- Good curb appeal
- It lasts twice as long as traditional asphalt shingles
- Requires less maintenance over time
- The warranty is longer because of increased durability
- Architectural shingles are the most expensive type on this list due to luxury features like a lifetime warranty that doesn’t fade over time.
- Not everyone wants a luxury roof that comes with a higher cost.
Woodroof shingles have been around for a while, so they are often in the homes of older people in Ameri. The wood is lightweight, making it easy to install, and it can also be painted to blend in with any type of home. Unfortunately, they do not hold up well against strong winds and rain.
- Easy to install
- Wood shakes and shingles do not hold up well against strong wind and rain.
- They have a short lifespan.
- Requires regular maintenance to protect against weather damage
- May need more frequent roof repairs due to infrequent warranty periods.
Tile Roof Shingles
Tile roof shingles add a certain aesthetic appeal to a home that is unparalleled by any other type of roofing material. In addition, tile roofs should last for at least 50 years though some have been known to last up to 100 years. This longevity makes them an expensive option, but you need not worry about paying for costly repairs or replacements because tile roofs can withstand all types of weather.
- It lasts for at least 50 years
- Tiles help improve your home curb appeal
- Tile roofs are durable and long-lasting.
- There is no warranty on tile roofs, so if one breaks or cracks, you will need to replace it yourself, which can cost thousands of dollars.
- Tile roofs are known to be rather heavy, which can cause them to cost more to install on your home.
- Some homeowners do not like the aesthetic appeal of tile roofs because they are not one solid color and instead have a lot of different types of tiles mixed together, which can look somewhat busy.
Metal roofs are another type of roof that should last for at least 50 years, though some have lasted even longer. Metal roofs are very durable because they are made with metal all the way through, which means they do not need to be painted or repaired every few decades like other types of roofs. However, because metal is one of the heaviest materials used for roofing, it is often considered the most expensive type of roofing material.
- It makes a very durable and long-lasting roof.
- Metal roofs are more robust than other types of roofs, so they do not need to be repaired as frequently.
- They have a very high wind resistance because metal is one of the heaviest materials used in roof construction.
- They are one of the most expensive materials used in roof construction.
- The cost of metal is only getting high every year because it is a growing material that many more people choose for their homes.
- They are heavier than other types of roofs, so the labor cost may be higher because it is more difficult for roofers to install them.
Metal Roof Shingles
Another option is metal roofing shingles. They are often compared to slate roofs which are good because they look similar though metal roofs tend to be cheaper than slate. However, some homeowners find the two options too confusing, so if you really want a metal roof but don’t know which color or type of metal you prefer, it would be best to stick with standard metal or tile roofs and see if you like them first. They are made from various metals, including aluminum, steel, zinc, and copper though it is important to note that each has its own price range.
- Metal roofs are the best choice in areas where strong winds are common because they are very durable.
- They are stronger than other types of roofing materials, so they do not need to be repaired as frequently.
- They help protect your home against fire since the metal material is not flammable.
- They are made from various metals that can create different colors or patterns depending on which one you choose.
- Metal roofing shingles give you all of the benefits of a metal roof without any added weight.
- They are cheaper than slate tile roofing shingles.
- Metal roofing shingles come in a variety of different colors so you can easily match your home instead of choosing between
- Come in sheets for installation.
- They are one of the most expensive roofs because they are made with durable metal all the way through.
- High maintenance costs
- The cost of labor may be higher because of the nature of installing a metal roof
- Higher cost than traditional asphalt shingles.
Terracotta Roof Tiles
Terracotta parts of a roof are incredibly unique because they look great with any design style. They are made out of clay, fired in a kiln, and finished by hand. Terracotta roofs are durable parts of a roof that can last for decades, but they also add beauty to your home.
- They look great with any design style, and they are made by hand, so each is unique
- Durable and long-lasting
- Easy to install for roofers
- Will not damage the environment because clay is a natural material.
- One of the most expensive types of roofs available today
- Terracotta roofs come as tiles that will usually need to be installed by professionals
- Will not resist strong winds as well as other types of roofing materials.
Slate Tile Roofing Shingles
Slate tiles are beautiful and incredibly strong at protecting your house from the elements. They come in a range of colors and keep the outside of your home looking great for decades. Slate roofs can last more than 100 years!
- One of the most durable roofs available can last for decades.
- Slate Roof Tile come as shingles that are easy to handle
- Looks great with any design style.
- One of the most expensive roofs available on the market today
- No color choices
- It may be too heavy for some houses to support, which means that they will have to hire a professional to install them correctly.
Rubber Roof Shingles
Rubber roof shingles are the best choice for homeowners who want a roof that requires little to no maintenance and will resist all of the elements. Rubber roofs are made from rubber materials, which makes them resistant to things like scuffing and strong winds, whereas asphalt shingles may start to curl or even blow away. Rubber roofs also come in a variety of colors, so you can pick a color that matches your home, and they can even be safely recycled when you buy Rubber Roof Shingles so they will not damage the environment.
- Easy to install
- Low maintenance
- 15+ Lifespan (lower than others on the list)
Plastic Roof Shingles
These parts of a roof are made out of recycled materials and come in many different styles and colors. They are lightweight parts of a roof that can be installed quickly. PVC parts of a roof are very durable and give parts of your home an excellent look. The drawback is that they do not have a long lifespan, and you may need to replace them as early as ten years after you put them on.
- Lightweight, so it is easier to install
- Come in many different colors and styles, which makes it easy to match your home
- Affordable and eco friendly
- Short life expectancy.
- Not all roofing contractors handle this type of roofing.
Tile vs. Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are one of the most common types of shingles used to cover a roof. Asphalt shingles are made from a combination of mineral granules and resin, which is why they are also referred to as asphalt shingles. The granules help protect the roof against water damage, heat buildup, and fire.
Tile roofs, on the other hand, are often compared to clay or terra cotta tiles due to their clay base. Tile roofs are very durable and can last up to 50 years, which is why they are often the best choice in areas with strong winds or other severe weather conditions.
Talk to a roofing contractor about your shingle options.
Before you start debating which shingles you should get for your roof, make sure you talk to a roofing contractor. They can accurately tell you which shingles are best for your roof and home based on the region where your house is located.