Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
A riding lawn mower could be what you need to get motivated to maintain your yard without having to be an expert handyman or gardener. These remarkable machines let you mow hundreds and hundreds of meters of grass on end from the comfort of your yard throne. If you are someone that dreads mowing with rusty old push mowers, then pay close attention to this guide that will help you find the best riding lawn mower for 1 acre.
Save yourself the hassle of browsing through product after product trying to find the best mowers on sale because this article lays it all out for you to cherry-pick your favorite ones!
By the end of this review, you’ll have gained knowledge of and access to a range of riding lawn mowers from gas to electric and battery-powered mowers across various brands, each offering something different.
We will run you through core features such as power, engine, deck size, cutting options, seating, tank capacity, and manufacturer warranties. This should give you a better picture of what to expect upon purchase.
To help you shape your thoughts a little better and dial in your lawnmower goals, we also will be providing a shopping guide offering some pointers on what to look out for in terms of specs, features, and functionality. Finally, we will follow this with a FAQ section to clear the air about some of your most common concerns to give you the clarity and conscience of an informed decision-maker.
Related: How Big is an Acre
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 46 in. 23 HP V-Twin Kohler 7000 Series Engine Hydrostatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Tractor
- Power: 23 hp
- Engine: 725 cc Kohler 7000 Series Twin Cylinder Engine
- Deck Size: 46-inches
- Cutting Options: 12
- Seating: 15-inch Height Back
- Tank capacity: 11.4 L
- Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 46 in. 23 HP V-Twin Kohler 7000 Series Engine Hydrostatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Tractor
- A powerful engine allows you to cut up to 2 acres per gas cycle.
- Plenty of cutting options at heights between 1.5 and 4-inches.
- Hydrostatic transmission for smooth operation and no gear shifting required.
- LED headlights provide enhanced visibility in any weather condition.
- 3-year no-hour limit warranty and 5-year frame warranty for peace of mind.
- May be noisy in operation.
- No lawn equipment such as a bag for grass clippings included (sold separately).
Overall Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Riding Lawn Tractor Review
Cub Cadet is a brand that never disappoints in riding lawnmowers. This brand has it all, with 3-year and 5-year warranties covering its range of mowers to hydrostatic transmission, plenty of cutting heights, and robust engines that enable exceptional mowing all year round with lasting results.
The Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro comes in at 46-inches which is a reasonably compact size that is not too small but not too bulky, making it moderate enough to tackle something like a 1-acre land and a max of 2 acres per refill cycle.
Built with a stylish yellow and black design, you’ll get that “construction worker” feeling with the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro. This feeling is only amplified with the large tractor front and rear wheels.
More than just a pretty face, these wheels let you ride on through the harshest of terrains and the wettest of surfaces to get the job done all year round. Much like a car, the XT1 Enduro uses a steering wheel and pedal design to get you moving across your acreage. That way, you can get your grass looking nice and sharp without a drop of sweat.
Let’s not forget the substantial 11.4-liter fuel capacity, making the whole process low-maintenance. You can mow the grass without needing to refill gas.
- Power: 50 Ah (0 hp)
- Engine: RYOBI Engine
- Deck Size: 30-inches
- Cutting Options: 7
- Seating: Adjustable
- Tank capacity: N/A (Electric Mower)
- RYOBI 48V Brushless 30 in. 50 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
- Electric mowers require less maintenance than gas-powered mowers.
- A rechargeable battery lets you save on purchasing gas without denting the electricity bill.
- Three brushless motors for superior power and performance.
- Extremely compact design at 30-inches in deck size.
- 3-year mower warranty and 1-year battery warranty included.
- Only 7 cutting width options (less than average).
- Back-seat is not very high.
Overall RYOBI 30 in. Electric Riding Mower Review
RYOBI is a brand renowned for its electric riding mowers, and this 30-inch mower takes the cake when it comes to compactness and maneuverability. The smaller size makes it easier to mow near corners and tight spots, but it also makes it very easy to store in your garage or other less spacious areas.
In addition to its convenient size, it’s also a zero-turn lawn mower, meaning it can rotate on its own axis due to a zero-degree turning radius. This unique ride-on mower is best-used for 1-acre lands but can also reach up to 2 acres on a single charge, minimizing the maintenance process so you can focus more on riding and less on recharging.
One of the best things about electric mowers is that they provide noiseless cutting, so you won’t need to worry about disturbing your neighbors early on a Sunday morning. So say goodbye to gas fumes, loud motor engines, and nasty smells. Instead, the RYOBI electric riding lawn mower provides a quiet and peaceful solution to grass cutters that will leave you blissful in your mowing work.
Of course, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. Silent compact machines like this do come at a price, so be aware that the smaller design would likely mean you should avoid using this mower on rough terrain or wet grass, as the wheels aren’t as sizeable as some larger ones on offer.
Green Machine 62V Brushless 22 in. Electric Cordless Battery Self-Propelled Lawn Mower with 2 4.0 Ah Batteries and Charger
- Power: 62-Volt 4 Ah
- Engine: N/A (Self-propelled)
- Deck Size: 22-inches
- Cutting Options: 6
- Seating: N/A
- Tank capacity: N/A (Battery operated)
- Green Machine 62V Brushless 22 in. Electric Cordless Battery Self-Propelled Lawn Mower with 2 4.0 Ah Batteries and Charger
- Super compact push mower with battery power for easy mowing.
- Significantly more affordable than other riding mowers.
- A battery-powered mower means less maintenance and less noise when mowing.
- Includes mulching kit, bagging, and side discharge.
- 5-year limited mower warranty and 3-year limited battery warranty.
- No riding capabilities.
- May struggle in rough terrain.
Overall Green Machine Self-Propelled Electric Lawn Mower Review
We know what you may be thinking, this is not a riding mower at all! However, when looking at the best options for a 1-acre land, we must consider all our options. Besides, this isn’t the usual push mower in everyone’s garage. It’s an electric motor that runs on two 4.0 Ah rechargeable batteries and a 62-volt brushless motor.
Thus, you still get many of the same features of a typical riding mower, whether that’s plenty of cutting height options, a powerful engine, and enough capacity to mow down half an acre before a quick recharge is needed to finish the job!
Some of the benefits of the Green Machine self-propelled mower include the fact that you can easily store it in any garage or backyard space, and you can also save a significant amount on gas costs due to the electrical nature of the mower.
Also, you don’t have to worry about whether it includes a zero-turning radius. As you know, a push mower puts you in total control of the steering and maneuverability.
Of course, there are downsides, such as more physical labor involved on your part, so if you’re not looking for a workout or perhaps your land is a little bigger than just an acre, this may not be the one for you. However, I’d recommend this mower to those looking for a mild upgrade to their current push mowers, as this is a nice middle-ground between self-propelled and riding lawnmowers.
Toro TimeMaster 30 in. Briggs & Stratton Personal Pace Self-Propelled Walk-Behind Gas Lawn Mower with Spin-Stop
- Power: 5.3 hp
- Engine: Briggs and Straton Engine
- Deck Size: 30-inches
- Cutting Options: 7
- Seating: N/A
- Tank capacity: 1.1 L
- Toro TimeMaster 30 in. Briggs & Stratton Personal Pace Self-Propelled Walk-Behind Gas Lawn Mower with Spin-Stop
- A nice compact mower that can fit anywhere in your garage or outdoor living area.
- Plenty of cutting options at various heights to get the look you want for your lawn.
- The powerful Briggs & Stratton engine lets you mow a whole acre of grass before you need to refill the gas.
- Durable 13-gauge steel keeps this mower going strong for many years without fail.
- 3-year full warranty and 3-year “guaranteed to start” warranty.
- Not a riding mower, requires physical exertion.
- May be loud and produce fumes.
Overall Toro TimeMaster Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Review
The Toro TimeMaster is like the gas-powered version of the Green Machine, sporting a wide array of cutting choices to mow your grass at the perfect length to your exact preference. Additionally, it comes with a durable steel gauge construction that enables longevity in use and lasting results.
The Briggs and Stratton engine is powerful enough to get you mowing an entire acre of grass before a gas refill is warranted. You won’t get many walk-behind mowers that are this powerful and long-lasting, not to mention having the backing of a 3-year warranty and a 3-year “guaranteed to start” mower to ensure your mower never stalls during this period.
As America’s leading lawnmower brand, according to the TraQline dollar share for the push mower market between 2015 and 2018, Toro is one of the most trustworthy lawn mower brands among homeowners and backyard enthusiasts.
Built with a durable cast-aluminum frame, the Toro TimeMaster excels in finishing up the job 40% faster than other self-propelled mowers. You can also easily switch between mulching, bagging, and side-discharging modes so that your mower automatically deals with the grass the way you set it, saving you the extra work of dealing with your grass clippings.
- Power: 72-Volts (0 hp)
- Engine: OEM Branded Engine
- Deck Size: 30-inches
- Cutting Options: 10
- Seating: Adjustable
- Tank capacity: N/A (Electric-powered)
- Weibang E-Rider 30in. 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
- There are plenty of cutting options for such a compact mower, giving you the best of both worlds.
- User-friendly control panel with forwarding, neutral, and reverse options.
- The rechargeable battery system provides superior cutting power for up to 2 hours.
- Noiseless mowing so you can cut grass any time of the day without waking the neighbors.
- 3-year residential warranty for any defects related to manufacturing defects or material quality.
- No zero-turn features.
- The seatback height is not very high.
Overall Weibang E-Rider Electric Riding Mower Review
Coming in at a compact 30-inches, this mower is perfect for a large yard of 1/2 to 2 acres as it can go on for hours without needing a recharge. It also comes with excellent control panel features that make the rider’s life a breeze. These include an adjustable seat, reverse mowing, and even a convenient cup holder to keep a bottled drink handy on the job!
Speaking of rider benefits, this mower also comes with cruise control to rest your feet while keeping the mower going at a constant pace. There is also a battery-level indicator on the control panel, so you don’t get caught off guard with power and accidentally break down hundreds of meters from your home!
For large lawns of 1 acre or more, you’ll love the Weibang E-Rider because of its small 30-inch design that is quick and nippy and so easy to start at the push of a button. Unlike the average gas-powered mower, you don’t need to pull that lever repeatedly to get it going, only to realize the only thing you’ve hurt is your shoulder muscles trying to get it going!
One press of a button, and you’re well on your way with the E-Rider. The best part is that you can do so peacefully without waking the neighbors and even reducing your carbon footprint for an environmentally friendly mowing solution. Unfortunately, there are no zero-turn features, meaning you will have to leave a little extra room when making turns.
TURF ONE Volt-32C 32in. 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower With Built-In Collection System
- Power: 72-Volt/30 Ah
- Engine: OEM Branded Engine
- Deck Size: 32-inches
- Cutting Options: Bag, Rear Discharge
- Seating: Non-Adjustable
- Tank capacity: N/A (Electric)
- TURF ONE Volt-32C 32in. 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower With Built-In Collection System
- An ergonomic steering wheel makes for a pleasant ride.
- A large 72-Volt battery provides power to mow half to 2 acres of grass before recharging is mandated.
- The automatic transmission allows for smoother riding and less noise than most mowers.
- Cutting options include various modes such as bag and rear-discharge.
- 3-year limited warranty and 1-year battery warranty.
- No high back seat.
- No zero-turn maneuverability.
Overall TURF ONE 32-in Electric Riding Mower Review
Another cool and compact mower for 1 acre, the TURF ONE boasts a 32-inch mower deck that is large enough to take on thick grass but small enough to keep the machine small and lightweight for easy storage and maneuverability.
The stamped cutting deck is made with 12-gauge steel that is durable and enables long-lasting results with unwavering performance and results with your lawn for years on end. As with all-electric mowers, the best part is the noiseless mowing that lets you get the job done at your own convenience, even on those early weekend mornings when the neighborhood is sleeping in.
The lack of a fuel tank means this mower does not need any kind of liquid petrol to run, so you can enjoy the benefits of not paying every time you run out of power. Instead, simply charge the batteries to the max and enjoy mowing up to 2 acres before the next charging session.
This is not a zero-turn mower, so you’ll need to take extra care when making turns and leave enough room in front of you to do so (19-inch turning radius, to be precise). You also want to keep in mind the seat is not as tall as other lawn tractors, so if you are a taller individual, I advise you to reconsider if you feel this might affect your comfort levels.
Troy-Bilt 30 in. 382 cc Auto-Choke Engine 6-Speed Manual Drive Gas Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower with Mulch Kit
- Power: 382 cc Single-Cylinder
- Engine: Troy-Bilt Engine
- Deck Size: 30-inch
- Cutting Options: Mulch, Side-discharge
- Seating: Adjustable
- Tank capacity: 4.9 L
- Troy-Bilt 30 in. 382 cc Auto-Choke Engine 6-Speed Manual Drive Gas Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower with Mulch Kit
- The powerful engine with plenty of tank capacity allows for up to 2 acres to be mowed before a gas refill is needed.
- The easy keyed start is fast to power up and goes without the need for pulling a lever.
- Adjustable cutting modes including mulch and side-discharge.
- Compact 30-inch deck size is easy to store and moves effortlessly with quick startup.
- 2-year limited warranty for factory defects related to material or manufacturing.
- No zero-turn features included.
- May be a little noisy in operation.
Overall Troy-Bilt 30-in Gas Riding Lawn Mower Review
You’ll hear the name come up frequently when searching for the best riding lawn mower for 1 acre because Troy-Bilt has an incredible selection of mowers of all different types and sizes to cater to all kinds of customers. In this case, we have a super-compact 30-inch gas riding lawn mower that excels in covering 1 to 2 acres of grass in a single fuel cycle.
Additionally, this mower comes with various cutting modes, including mulch and side-discharge, giving you control over how you dispose of your grass clippings. Finally, this product is backed by a 2-year manufacturer warranty, which allows you to have your mower replaced at little to no cost for any defects in the machine’s material quality or craftsmanship.
Indeed, this mower is powerful enough to get the job done in a single gas cycle, thanks to its powerful gas engine. It also features a comfortable soft steering wheel that allows you to ride in more comfort with minimal vibration.
Ideal for small to medium-sized lawns, the Troy-Bilt fits through most front and back gates of homes for easy transportation and back and front lawn mowing as needed. It’s also compatible with fuel stabilizers to maintain your engine’s lifespan and increase the longevity of your mower, though these must be purchased separately.
You’ll also love the rear-mounted engine purely because it enhances your sight and clears your vision to mow more effectively with nothing to obstruct your view!
Cub Cadet 30 in. 10.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine Hydrostatic Drive Gas Rear Engine Riding Mower with Mulch Kit
- Power: 10.5 hp
- Engine: 344 cc Briggs & Stratton Single Cylinder
- Deck Size: 30-inches
- Cutting Options: 5
- Seating: Cub Comfort Seat
- Tank capacity: 4.9 L
- Cub Cadet 30 in. 10.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine Hydrostatic Drive Gas Rear Engine Riding Mower with Mulch Kit
- 13 gauge steel provides durability and a robust defense mechanism to the elements.
- Compact mower of 30-inches is easier to store than those with a large cutting deck.
- Smooth riding via hydrostatic transmission.
- Adjustable 5-position cutting deck provides plenty of options for your grass height.
- 3-year limited warranty for any defects related to manufacturing or material quality.
- No zero-turn features.
- No high back seat.
Overall Cub Cadet Gas 30-in Riding Mower Review
When it comes to compact gas mowers that deliver results, the best riding lawn mowers usually come in at about 30-inches and have enough fuel capacity to cover a maximum of 2 acres in one cycle.
This Cub Cadet riding mower achieves both those things and even comes with an adjustable 5-position cutting deck to adjust the cutting width of your mower’s blades and get the perfect grass height to suit your lawn goals. With a construction tractor-Esque yellow and black aesthetic, the Cub Cadet 30-inch is a gas mower with attitude!
Big things do come in small packages as far as this mower is concerned. Its hydrostatic transmission offers a smooth and comfortable ride that produces minimal sound, so you won’t disturb the neighborhood as you get busy mowing.
In addition, you can enjoy the convenience of storing your mower in tight garage spots and the freedom to mow around small gates and fit through small openings around your front and backyard.
Keep in mind, this is not a ZTR mower, so you will need to take extra care with tight turns and leave enough room as this mower has an 18-inch turning radius and hence cannot turn on its own axis.
- Power: 22 hp
- Engine: V-Twin
- Deck Size: 42-inches
- Cutting Options: 13
- Seating: 15-inch High Back Seat
- Tank capacity: 9 L
- John Deere S120 42 in. 22 HP V-Twin Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor
- Large 9 liter fuel tank enables plenty of mowing before refilling is required.
- High 15-inch back seat provides plenty of comfort for people of many heights and sizes.
- Huge range of cutting options provide 13 different heights between 1 and 4-inches.
- Easy 30 second oil change system.
- 2-year bumper-to-bumper warranty registration included with purchase.
- No zero-turn capabilities.
- May cause some noise due to large mowing deck.
Overall John Deere S120 42-in Lawn Tractor Review
You can never go wrong with John Deere, in particular with this S120 that comes in with a wide cutting deck size of 42-inches, allowing you to mow down more grass with every lap you make across the lawn. Moreover, with a power output of 22 hp and a huge fuel tank capacity of 9 liters, the S120 will last for an entire 2-acre land before refilling gas is mandated.
This mower is highly suitable for larger lawns between 1-2 acres and provides enough comfort to make the journey worthwhile. For instance, a 15-inch seat is met with an easy-read fuel gauge, cruise control, and an ergonomic steering wheel to make you feel like you’re driving a comfortable sedan family car.
The wheels on this beast are quite massive, particularly the back wheels where the mower focuses all of its power and propels the machinery forward. The great thing about these large wheels is that it becomes easier to navigate the mower through rough terrain and wet grass, meaning you can mow that lawn no matter the weather conditions.
Unfortunately, this is not a zero-turn riding mower, so you will need to leave extra room when you make those tight turns. But don’t worry because this mower can travel backward in a reverse direction, giving you extra maneuverability and agility with your mowing process.
- Power: 20-Volts
- Engine: N/A (Battery-powered)
- Deck Size: N/A
- Cutting Options: 5
- Seating: N/A
- Tank capacity: N/A
- Worx LANDROID ROBOTIC LAWN MOWER (1/2 ACRE)
- Automatic mowing means no labor is required as the mower will move up and down your lawn on its own.
- The intuitive interface makes it easy to set working schedules to the mower to suit your preferences.
- Up to five different cutting options provide versatility in the tasks it can perform and allows you to achieve your perfect lawn look.
- Rain sensors command the machine to go back to the station when unfavorable weather elements are detected.
- 3-year limited warranty.
- Small mower takes longer to complete lawn.
- Only mows half an acre at a time before charging is required.
Overall Worx Landroid Robotic Lawn Mower Review
This automated smart lawn mower brought to you by Worx eliminates “mowing the lawn” from your to-do list by quite literally taking care of it by itself.
You won’t need to ride or sit on this mower, the only work required on your part is to schedule in the work routines you wish for it to perform, and it’ll cut down your grass automatically and even return to the charging station once the battery runs low.
It seems like a dream come true for sure, though you should keep in mind that it will take longer for the little contraption to make its way across a full acre of land, so definitely don’t wait till the last minute to use the Landroid if you are trying to impress some guests on their way!
Perhaps this mower is a bit of an acquired taste for those who seriously dislike mowing the lawn. This is because the Landroid either takes all the fun of mowing away or gives you more time to have fun by not mowing the lawn, depending on who you are.
Nevertheless, everyone looking for a lawn mower for 1 acre should consider the Landroid robotic lawn mower, as it is an effortless and affordable way of taking care of your lawn. It even has smartphone connectivity via an app, so you can enjoy the feeling of controlling your automatic mower from the comfort of your home!
In terms of power, you only really need to worry about when purchasing gas mowers, because it can significantly affect the machine’s ability to mow through an entire acre without compromising on performance or blade speeds.
Anywhere from 20hp upwards is generally a good deal for mowers with deck sizes of over 40-inches. Essentially, you should expect the power output to rise in correspondence to the size of the mower, and vice-versa.
When it comes to riding lawn mowers, the engine is what gives the mower the push that propels it forward. Hence, a large mower should be accompanied by a more powerful engine to get the bulky machinery moving and allow you to reach higher acceleration rates.
With electric mowers, you’ll want to focus on battery voltage instead, aiming for a higher output for larger-sized mowers.
Brushed vs. Brushless Motors
If possible, always go for a brushless motor as it eliminates the possibility of your lawn mower overheating and typically requires significantly less maintenance to operate. This is because brushless motors have a higher heat dissipation ratio than brushed motors and adapt to the power output needed for the mower to complete the task.
As far as riding lawn mowers go, the level of control is typically determined by the machine’s steering wheel and maneuverability capabilities. I’d suggest going for zero-turn mowers as they can turn on the spot on its own axis, making it easier to cover spots of grass you may have missed.
Nowadays, it’s common practice to seek hydrostatic automatic transmission as opposed to manual transmission as this results in a smoother ride with less noise.
For 1 acre lands, a deck size of 30-inches is more than enough to cover the lawn while providing the benefits of a compact design too.
Mowers often vary greatly in this area, but I would not recommend anything below five cutting options as this is usually enough variety in grass-cutting width options. Of course, however, the more the merrier!
Unless you are extremely lucky with your purchase, you will need an adjustable seat as a bare minimum to get the comfort you desire. Also, try not to settle for anything less than 15-inches back-height and go for a comfortable material too.
Many product descriptions will tell you how many acres the mower can cover before a gas refill or battery recharge is mandated, so make sure it’s within the range you are seeking.
Understanding the type of lawn you have can also help you purchase your mower, because some mowers excel more in rough terrain than others, while others do better with flat surfaces.
This comes back to the yard size, as you will want a high enough fuel capacity to last you at least 1 acre of mowing before refilling gas or recharging the battery is required. I’d recommend around 10 liters minimum if possible!
It’s essential that you feel safe when riding your lawn mower. Ensure the seat is adjusted correctly, there is sufficient gas or battery life, and the cutting options are selected appropriately according to the task at hand.
Single engine vs. twin engine
If you are looking to save on fuel consumption, then a single-engine is the way to go. However, suppose you are willing to spend a little extra. A twin-engine can offer more horsepower, less vibration, and more coverage and lasting performance to cover an entire acre of land before refilling is required.
Tips for Shopping Mower Online
All of the above features should be considered when shopping for a mower online, and information about each aspect can often be found in the specs and features section of the online store. In addition, when shopping online, you should look out for customer reviews and ratings and ensure there are no red flags with the product.
If you have any specific questions about the product, be sure to contact the support team or leave a question on their page and make sure it’s been answered before purchasing.
Best riding lawn mower for 1 acre FAQ
What size riding mower do I need for 1 acre?
For 1 acre, a riding mower deck of 30-inches is more than enough to get the job done while retaining the benefits of a compact design.
What’s the most reliable riding lawn mower?
Many brands offer reliable riding lawn mowers such as John Deere, Cub Cadet, and Troy-Bilt. Ensure the product comes with an excellent warranty to maximize reliability.
How long does it take to mow an acre on a riding lawn mower?
It typically takes about 1-2 hours to mow an acre, depending on your familiarity with riding lawn mowers and your type of model.
What Is the Best Cheap Riding Lawnmower?
The Cub Cadet XT Enduro is one of the cheapest and most effective ride-on mowers that you’ll find on the market.
Who Makes the Best Riding Mower for 1 acre yards?
In my honest opinion, I’ll have to go with Cub Cadet as the best manufacturer of riding lawn mowers for 1 acre. This is because their range typically includes compact mowers of 30-inches designed to mow up to 2 acres before recharging/refilling is required.
As such, you get an affordable mower that is easy to store, versatile in use, and long-lasting in performance and results. The Cub Cadet XT Enduro is a classic example of this, and also features large front and rear wheels that can mow wet grass and rough terrain with ease.
Now check out Best riding lawn mower for 2 acres