Cutting grass has always been one of those pesky chores that most of us try to avoid. However, especially if you don’t enjoy mowing the lawn, you should seriously consider upgrading your mower. We’re taking you through the best lawn mower brands available today and their major offerings so you can make a more informed choice.
In truth, you can find some joy in mowing your yard with a good lawn mower that optimizes the grass-cutting process and minimizes the stressful, boring stuff.
Once you understand what each brand has to offer and the good and bad of each, we’ll move on to these brands’ various types of lawn mowers. As a result, you can move towards your ideal product. So, get your hands on that dream mower that’ll turn things around and make you see lawn mowing in a new light!
John Deere is a leading manufacturer of outdoor power equipment, including lawn mowing tools, construction tractors, and even golf and sports turf machinery. They were founded in the United States in 1837, taking onboard almost two centuries of experience in the outdoor equipment industry.
- Massive range of mowing and garden equipment to choose from.
- Highly reputable brand with almost two centuries of experience in the industry.
- Offers lawn tractors with effortless steering and intuitive controls.
- Zero-turn mowers are available through the Z300-Z700 Series range.
- 10-year limited warranty for defects related to manufacturing or material quality for all John Deere mowers.
- No push lawn mower options available.
- Mowers typically only come in one color choice.
Overall John Deere Review
It doesn’t get much better than John Deere for riding lawn mowers. They are practically unmatched in quality, variety, and warranty, a.k.a the holy trinity. The only thing that would make the brand even better would be adding in the option of a push lawn mower. However, many people would prefer a small lawn mower for their lawns.
Nevertheless, John Deere lawn tractors can also come in compact sizes, allowing you to enjoy riding mowers’ benefits without taking too much space in your garage. They also provide zero-turn lawn mowers that come in several shapes and sizes to suit all types of users, and the seat comes in at about 15-inches tall with back support for a comfortable ride.
Finally, the 10-year warranty will serve you well, as it can guarantee at least a decade of quality lawn mowing. On the downside, users are more likely to experience issues with their mower after that initial ten years have passed, so it could be debated whether the warranty should be longer like some other brands.
Green Machine is a US-based backyard equipment company specializing in push lawn mowers, chainsaws, and blowers. They also manufacture self-propelled lawn mowers that take the stress off your arms and shoulders when mowing the grass. Other products in their range include string and hedge trimmers for a finer finish.
- Solid variety of push mowers and self-propelled lawn mowers.
- Push-button ignition startup eliminates the need for revving up the engine to start.
- High-rear wheels provide good levitation and allow you to navigate through tough terrain.
- Up to 45 minutes of run time before recharging is required (for the battery-powered mowers).
- 5-year limited product warranty and 3-year limited battery warranty.
- No riding mowers offered.
- Only available in one color option.
Overall Green Machine Review
Green Machine is the go-to for push mowers, offering a range of gas-powered mowers and battery-powered lawn mowers. They specialize in the area and have honed their product range.
Sometimes, a push mower can work better than a riding mower. For example, many of us have smaller-sized yards that don’t need the bulky presence of a riding mower or lawn tractor. Green Machine appeals to this audience with great vigor, developing mowers designed in an army style and built to handle thick grass and unfavorable terrain.
Green Machine offers a 5-year product warranty covering any defects resulting from manufacturing defects or lack of quality material. They also provide a 3-year battery warranty for any faults in the battery for the self-propelled lawn mower range.
Other than being one of the most reputable push lawn mower brands out there, Green Machine also offers a variety of tools to help you with other lawn-related tasks such as trimming, blowing, and chain-sawing.
See our Green Machine Review for more details.
Greenworks manufactures outdoor power equipment and tools, including lawn mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, and other battery-powered lawn tools. Their lawn mower range includes riding lawn mowers, zero-turn mowers, electric lawn mowers, and battery-powered lawn mowers available in riding or push form.
- Wide range of products that cover all types of lawn mowers on the market.
- Specializes in battery-powered lawn mowers with special 2.5 and 5.0 ah rechargeable batteries.
- Minimal emissions and minimal maintenance requirements with their mowers.
- Riding lawn mowers come with comfortable, adjustable seats.
- Every mower comes with large rear wheels that can power through thick grass and rough terrain.
- No gas mowers available.
- Recharging mid-mow is required for larger lawns bigger than an acre.
Overall Greenworks Review
All-in-all, Greenworks is an excellent brand of lawn mowers. Particularly for their battery-operated types, they are a multi-award-winning brand. Unlike some other mowers that are electric-operated, Greenworks products are all completely cordless lawn mowers. This makes it easier to use, maintain, and store.
The other great thing about these battery-powered mowers is noise-reduced (1). That lets you get the job done without the need for pesky ear muffs over your head. Greenworks also offers the zero-turn mower for tackling those sharp-angled mowing tasks. They also give you the option of lever steering or wheel steering to suit different preferences.
In addition, all mowers by Greenworks come with a 4-year manufacturer warranty that covers factory and material defects, and you also get a 90-day money-back guarantee for any reason if you are unhappy with the mower and return it in good condition.
Toro is a leading manufacturer of innovative solutions for the outdoor environment, distributing mowers, blowers, vacuums, and more worldwide. In the business for over a century, Toro lawn mowers come in various options, including riding mowers and push mowers.
- There are plenty of electric lawn mowers, including push, self-propelled, and riding.
- Also has some petrol mowers available to appeal to more people.
- Thick gauge steel construction of the mowing decks makes Toro lawn mowers more durable than other mowers.
- Zero-turn mower options provide effortless 360-degree grass-cutting coverage.
- Electric mower range provides silent operation, no ear muffs needed.
- No gas-powered mowers available.
- 3-year warranty is not as long as other lawn mower brands.
Overall Toro Review
Toro mowers may well be your best bet if you’re searching for that new lawn mower that’ll make the difference. With such a huge variety of lawn mower types available, Toro is truly a jack of all trades when it comes to outdoor power equipment.
Believe it or not, it’s a rare sight to see a lawn mower brand provide the full spectrum of mowers in their product line-up. Toro includes electric, gas, and battery-powered mowers as well as zero-turn, self-propelled, push, and riding. Nevertheless, you are guaranteed to find what you are looking for with Toro’s range of affordable lawn mowers, and there is little to fault in its cutting performance.
My only complaint with Toro would be its warranty. While it does serve a reasonable period of coverage with a 3-year limited warranty, this number pales compared to other lawn mower brands. Nevertheless, for a durable, high-performing push or riding lawn mower, you simply cannot go past Toro for its quality and quantity in grass-cutting innovations!
CRAFTSMAN is primarily a power tools company based in the U.S, focusing on manufacturing electric drills and chainsaws. They have expanded their range drastically to include a wide variety of high-performance lawn mowers, including push and riding mowers.
- A large variety of engine-powered yard equipment on offer.
- Varieties include battery-powered push mowers, riding gas mowers, riding electric lawn mowers, self-propelled mowers, and more!
- 46 to 54-inch cutting deck capabilities to suit many different lawn preferences.
- Zero-turn mowers and lawn tractors available.
- Up to 12 different cutting height adjustments for most lawn mowers.
- Brand does not specialize specifically in lawn mowers.
- Warranty is not as long as other brands.
Overall CRAFTSMAN Review
Covering a huge range of outdoor power equipment, CRAFTSMAN truly lives up to its name of being reliable for handypersons and builders. Their range of electric, gas, and battery-powered lawn equipment makes them one of the most versatile brands of lawn mower manufacturers on the market today.
They typically have a stylish red, and black design for most of their products, and most of their lawn mowers can cut up to 12 different heights. They also have up to 54-inch cutting deck lawn mowers available, allowing you to chop down a greater coverage of grass per lap down your lawn.
The CRAFTSMAN lawn tractors remain one of the company’s best lawn mowers, coming in with a powerful V-Twin Hydrostatic Cylinder engine and 54-inch steel deck. Indeed, you cannot go wrong with CRAFTSMAN lawn mowers, no matter what kind of mower you’re after.
However, I must once again note the warranty (5 years), in this case being an improvement from Toro’s, but still not quite what I’d recommend for a lawn mower.
Husqvarna takes things up a notch by offering robotic lawn mowers in addition to its range of riding mowers and walk-behind mowers. They also offer a unique stand-on mower. Other products in the Husqvarna line include pole saws, forestry clearing saws, pressure washers, vacuums, and sprayers.
- Robotic mower cuts your grass automatically with no labor efforts on your part.
- Huge range of outdoor equipment and up to 18 product lines included.
- Specialists in battery solutions and robotics.
- Offers a unique stand-on mower that specializes in maneuverability and speed.
- Zero-turn mower and riding mower range give you steering options between lever and steering wheel.
- Short 3-year warranty.
- No electric mowers offered.
Overall Husqvarna Review
The Husqvarna lawn mowers are notorious for their specialization in battery solutions and their one-of-a-kind robotic lawn mower. But, ironically, this does not mean they manufacture electric lawn mowers, as most of their riding and push lawn mowers are strictly gas-powered. Due to their high-quality and higher price tags, they are best as large property lawn mowers.
Husqvarna excels in their robotic mower, which leverages smart technology and battery power to take the labor away from the user and enjoy having your lawn mowed while you relax inside the home. In addition to this, they offer a stand-on mower which is quite a rarity.
The benefits of this mower are that you get to enjoy a break from your work desk and stand on your feet (which is good for your health). You don’t need to break a sweat and turn your lawn mowing task into a marathon event that leaves you exhausted for the rest of the day.
Again, the warranty is not as long as I’d hoped for, as I believe you should aim for at least 10 years of cover for lawn mowers as they generally perform well in the first couple of years anyway.
Cub Cadet is known for its huge range of riding lawn mowers and its classic yellow and black colors that are bright enough to spot from a mile away. In particular, the brand is renowned for its range of battery-powered and electric mowers that specialize in noise reduction, odor elimination, and cost-efficiency.
- There are several riding mowers to choose from, including zero-turn, lever-control, or steering wheel tractors.
- Some mowers offer comfortable adjustable seats with armrests.
- XR3 robotic mower available with Smart Mode feature.
- Plenty of add-on items such as mulching kits available.
- Optimized steering control via XT Enduro Series.
- Short warranty of 3 years.
- Only one color scheme available for all mowers.
Overall Cub Cadet Review
Cub Cadet lawn mowers take things to a new level with their range of electric mowers and battery-powered solutions that make the whole process a breeze. In particular, their new robotic lawn mower takes effortlessness to new heights, allowing you to have your grass mowed while you sit back and relax in the comfort of your home.
You can even program this clever little machine to cut at a specific height. You won’t need to go and collect it when it runs out of battery because it will automatically return to the charging station when the battery runs low. That aside, Cub Cadet mowers also include walk-behind mowers that run on gas and riding mowers that run on lithium-ion batteries.
Whether you long for the powerful engine of a gas-powered mower or the sleek, stealthy hydrostatic engine of the noise-reduced battery-powered mower, Cub Cadet has you covered. Of course, the 3-year warranty isn’t as long as I’d like it to be, but it does provide a fair amount of coverage to at least guarantee you a few years of unproblematic mowing.
Troy-Bilt lawn mowers include a huge product line of grass-cutting tools from lawn and garden tractors, zero-turn mowers, self-propelled mowers, push mowers, wide-area mowers, and tillers. Other items include chainsaws, leaf blowers, cultivators, edgers, string trimmers, and snow blowers.
- Great garden equipment for use all year round.
- Inventors of the rear-tine tiller which allows you to cut through soil.
- Mowers can cover yards from less than an acre to over 4 acres in size.
- Offers hydrostatic transmission for a more responsive and smoother ride.
- Optional mowing accessories turn your mower into a powerful workhorse for tackling outdoor tasks all day long.
- Accessories not included with purchase of mower, sold separately.
- Short warranties of 2-3 years per product.
Overall Troy-Bilt Review
Troy-Bilt mowers come in all shapes and sizes, and you can typically find any combination of features you can think of. So whether it’s a push mower that runs on gas, a riding mower that runs on battery, or a zero-turn mower that uses electricity, you’ll find it with Troy-Bilt lawn mowers.
However, what makes this brand truly special is not just their reliable range of mowers but also their extended list of accessories and complementary tools. These help you put the finishing touches on your lawn. After all, maintaining a beautiful outdoor area takes more than just chopping down the grass. It’s an art!
Thus, you’ll find everything you need in trimmers, reel mowers, edgers, blowers, and even the innovative rear-tine tiller for your soil growth needs. On the downside, you will need to pay a little extra for the accessories, but you will find plenty of convenience with an added container to your machine that can help you mulch shredded grass as you mow.
More than just a motor vehicle brand, Honda provides a small range of push lawn mowers and other complementary gardening tools to keep your outdoor area looking fresh all year round.
- Cordless lawn mowers are battery-operated with uncompromised cutting performance.
- Convenient and straightforward to use with a single lithium-ion battery paired with a single charger.
- The LCD screen lets you know how much battery life is left to make the maintenance process easier.
- HRG466 mower offers a quiet, clean, and powerful performance.
- Fast charging gets your battery to full in just 35 minutes.
- No riding mowers available.
- Small range of push mowers offered.
Overall Honda Review
If you’re after a walk-behind mower for your lawn, then consider Honda for a cost-effective mower that combines simplicity with cutting-edge results. The great thing about Honda lawn mowers is that they come equipped with everything you need to get the job done.
This means you don’t need to purchase your grass collections bag separately as so many other lawn mower brands make you do. Unfortunately, the brand does not offer riding mowers, so I wouldn’t recommend them if you have a lawn the size of an acre.
Regardless, these mowers excel in their own rights, offering a rechargeable lithium-ion battery (2) that gets to full power in just 35 minutes. In addition, the maintenance process is made easy with an LCD screen that lets you know when the battery is running low.
All-in-all, Honda mowers make a good choice for small or average lawns, and you can save a bunch with their inclusive accessories and add-on items that come with your purchase.
Black + Decker
Black + Decker is known for producing power tools, particularly the electric drill. Their lawn mowers carry the same principles of exceptional engine performance to get the job done cutting your grass.
- Classic American lawn mower that offers EasySteer features and compact designs.
- Simple design and construction make it affordable and easy to use.
- High-performance mower blades that deliver 80% greater grass collection.
- Integrated carry handle and 6-height settings.
- Indicator alerts when it’s time to empty out your grass trimmings.
- No riding mower range offered.
- No self-propelled mower available.
Overall Black + Decker Review
Known for its range electric power drills, Black + Decker applies its principles of high-performing engines and simple designs to its lawn mower range. It features several push lawn mowers, each with quality mowing blades that collect 80% more grass than most lawn mower brands.
They also come with an easy start feature that turns the mower on at the push of a button, so you don’t need to waste time and energy trying to rev up the engine with a tacky rope-pulling start. Finally, one of the best aspects of the Black + Decker lawn mower is that it includes a container for your trimmings already attached to the mower.
Believe it or not, this feature is not as common in lawn mowers as you may think and often incurs additional costs. But, finally, you get up to six adjustable cutting heights so you can trim your grass the way you like it and achieve the perfect look for your lawn all year round!
The sleek black design of these lawn mowers is a sure iconic feature of the Murray mower range. In addition, their push mowers and riding mowers feature powerful Stratton engines that excel in pushing through rough terrain and harsh elements to mow your lawn to perfection all year round.
- Beautiful sleek design gives off a classy look for your backyard and garage space.
- Large rear-wheels allow you to navigate through tough terrain and wet conditions easily.
- Comfortable seat is adjustable and provides back support while mowing.
- Steering wheel on riding mower is easy to use and provides seamless navigation while mowing.
- Includes bundles with mulch bag.
- Small product range, not much to choose from.
- No electric mower available.
Overall Murray Review
Built with powerful Stratton engines and thick gauge steel construction, Murray specializes in gas mowers that effortlessly power through rough terrain and wet conditions. This is only amplified with large rear wheels as you can propel yourself onwards even if you fall into a ditch or pothole on your lawn.
Unlike a corded mower, you can enjoy the luxurious experience of mowing without an extension cord and feel the experience of a commercial mower. In addition, the riding mower will offer you comfort in seating and convenience in steering for those with large lawns or farmlands greater than an acre.
The push mower provides a well-balanced machine available as a bargain bundle with a mulch bag for your grass collections for the smaller lawns. While the warranty is only two years, which is far below what I’d recommend, the cost-effectiveness of Murray’s mowers may well compensate for this lack of a solid long-term cover, as purchasing a new one is no big deal.
Types of Mowers
The zero-turn mowers are a bit of a workout to use, as you will be pulling and pushing levers to get yourself moving around your lawn. On the plus side, the sharp-angle 360-degree maneuverability makes up for this extra effort as you save time and energy on having to do an extra lap if you miss a spot.
The rear-engine rider is your typical riding lawn mower, sometimes referred to as a tractor, that uses either a gas-powered engine or a battery source to get moving and chopping. The perk of these mowers is that they often come with comfortable adjustable seats (sometimes with armrests!), and they can be a pleasure to use.
These classic push mowers require you to push the machine up and down your lawn the old-fashioned way (I know, not everyone’s cup of tea!). However, the benefit of these mowers is they are the more affordable options. Therefore, they can be a worthwhile investment if your lawn is not too big.
Another perk of walk-behind mowers is that they usually always come with a collections bag for your grass trimmings, which is surprisingly rare for most lawn mower brands.
Self Propelled Mowers
These mowers work the same way as the walk-behind mowers, but you don’t need to exert strength to push it forward with one significant difference. The engine is designed with an in-built accelerator that moves forward at the push of a button, so all you have to do is steer.
These mowers are great for tackling touch sections of your lawn as they automatically propel forward and push harder through rough terrains.
Battery-powered lawn mowers
For noise reduction, cost-efficiency, and environmentally friendly benefits, battery-powered lawn mowers are the way to go. They often come with a rechargeable lithium-ion (or equivalent) battery and typically come in the form of a riding lawn mower or a push mower.
The downside with these mowers is that you may have to recharge the battery mid-way through your lawn mowing session, particularly if your land is big.
Smart Lawn mowers
These are the latest lawn mowing technology and typically feature a robotic lawn mower that gets started on your lawn as soon as you’ve programmed it. Imagine that but for your lawn if you are familiar with the Smart Genie vacuum cleaner and mop.
The main advantage of these mowers is the reduced effort and relaxation enjoyed on your part. On the downside, they are susceptible to getting stuck in corners. although some are designed to work around this.
Best Lawn Mower Brands FAQ
What brand of lawn mower is the most reliable?
While many lawn mower brands are reliable in the sense of cutting your grass effectively, I would argue that John Deere is the best lawn mower brand in this regard. Their 10-year warranty is simply unbeatable, and the quality and quantity of their lawn mower range is quite impressive.
What is the cheapest lawn mower brand?
One of the cheapest lawn mower brands is Black + Decker as their focus is on simplicity and customer satisfaction without any of the “extra stuff.” However, they do not offer riding lawn mowers in their product range on the downside.
Which riding mower brand is best?
John Deere remains one of the best riding lawn mower brands for its quality and warranty. Other notable brands include Cub Cadet lawn mowers, Green Machine, and Troy-Bilt, which produce a significant number of lawn mowers to suit countless preferences.
Which is a good lawn mower to buy?
The John Deere Z700 Series riding lawn mower is a great lawn mower to buy. This product can go up to 10 miles per hour and comes in 48, 54, or 60-inch cutting deck sizes as well as provides a comfortable, fully adjustable seat with great back support.
(1) – https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/noise-reduction
(2) – https://www.cei.washington.edu/education/science-of-solar/battery-technology