If you’ve ever dreamed of a single appliance that can take on any cooking task your soul desires, then you need to look into the world of cast iron griddles. These gorgeous little cooking appliances are known to handle just about everything. Whether it’s grilling, searing, pan-frying, or stir-frying, there’s nothing you can’t do with a cast iron griddle. In this review, I’ll be running you through everything you need to know about these incredible cooking devices so that you can choose the best cast iron griddle to suit your needs, budget, and desires.
✅ After going through all of the cast iron griddles this is the one that we would buy based on all of its qualities.
With the flexibility to be used indoors, outdoors, and in the oven, you’ll find yourself using a cast iron grill for tasks you would never have imagined. This type of cookware comes with a large cooking surface and often a reversible cast iron griddle that opens up even more possibilities.
By the end of this article, you will understand the greatness of cast iron cookware while gaining insights into the wondrous world of the best cast iron griddles. In addition, you’ll learn how they differ from typical pans and skillets and why they can prove to be the superior choice.
- Extra-large reversible grill/griddle made of enameled cast iron
- Satin black enamel cooking surface for excellent grilling or searing
- Built-in side handles for a secure grip when carrying or rotating
- Hand washing recommended; safe at any oven temperature. Heat Source : Broiler, Electric, Gas, Outdoor Grill, Oven
- Dimension: 18.5 inch L x 10 inch W x 0.5 inch H
Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle
- No seasoning is required.
- Durable cast iron materials.
- Reversible as a grill plate or grooved griddle.
- Secure grip handles.
- The large cooking area is suitable for group cooking.
- Safe at any oven temperature.
- Not dishwasher-safe.
- Not recommended for ceramic stovetops.
Overall Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle Review
The Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle is made of satin black enameled cast iron. It comes with built-in side handles that deliver a secure grip when maneuvering your grill or reversing the plate. At 18.4 x 10.3 x 0.9-inches worth of cooking surface, this griddle plate can take on several cooking tasks at once, making it optimal for families and gatherings of friends.
This product is reversible, meaning you can turn it over to work as either a grill plate for pancakes, sandwiches and omelets or as a grooved griddle plate for searing steaks and hamburgers. Additionally, you won’t need to worry about seasoning your grill plate as there is enough pre-seasoning to allow you to cook without the addition of unhealthy oils to create a non-stick surface.
Verified and validated with a favorable rating of 4.3-stars on Amazon reviews from over 100 customer feedback scores, this cast iron griddle is sure to deliver quality results in the kitchen, oven, backyard, or wherever you choose to cook! To see what customers are saying about this product, use the link down below!
Le Creuset has released this product as part of their premium cookware range to tackle higher levels and quantities of grilling. Built to work as a grill plate for toasting sandwiches or cooking pancakes and as a grooved griddle plate for searing steaks and hamburgers, this item does it all. To learn more about the brand and what they offer, read our Le Creuset Cookware review!
Amazon Basics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle
- Pre-seasoned for healthy cooking.
- Oven safe for up to 500 degrees F.
- A reversible griddle allows for more grilling options.
- Durable cast iron material for a lifetime of use.
- A large cooking surface is suitable for groups of friends or family.
- Side grips provided.
- Requires oven mitts as handles do not stay cool when cooking.
- Not dishwasher safe.
Overall Amazon Basics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle Review
The Amazon Basics Cast Iron Griddle/Grill is a stunning, jet-black cast iron griddle with an ample cooking space of about 20 x 10 x 1-inches, making it suitable for cooking batches of food at once.
The grill is reversible and can be used for searing meats and cooking delicate foods such as pancakes. Seasoning is not required as the surface is pre-seasoned, meaning you won’t need to add vegetable oil or others before you start cooking. In addition, a grease trap allows you to cook acidic food without dealing with unhealthy substances in your food.
Over 1700 Amazon reviews have resulted in a 4.3-star rating for this product, placing it among the best cast iron griddles on the market. As an Amazon-original product, this cast iron griddle is available at an absolute bargain of a price point. With high ratings to back it up for quality, you’d do yourself a considerable favor investing in it. Need convincing? See the comments for yourself!
While you need to be careful when handling it during cooking due to the lack of stay-cool handles, the side-grips still provide a firm grip even for the thickest of oven mittens. Enjoy cooking a bacon and egg breakfast with the smooth griddle side, then whip yourself up some chicken fillets and vegetables for lunch using the grooved griddle side.
Anything is possible with this reversible cast iron griddle. It certainly makes for a strong contender at such a low price point as the best cast iron griddle available today!
Backcountry Cast Iron Skillet
- Large cooking area is suitable for group cooking.
- Superior heat retention for delicious results for your food.
- Compatible with most stovetops, including induction.
- Reversible and pre-seasoned, ensuring quality results for a variety of cooking tasks.
- Grease trap for draining excess grease, allowing you to cook acidic foods.
- Side-handles provided.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Handles are not stay-cool. Use mitts or a paper towel when handling.
Overall Backcountry Cast Iron Skillet Review
This cast-iron skillet works as a griddle/grill as a result of its reversible capabilities. With a cooking surface of 16.25 x 7.50-inches, it’s large enough to cook several items on it at once but small and compact enough to store or transport it seamlessly. In addition, the surface is pre-seasoned such that it delivers the results of a non-stick coating, meaning you get excellent food release as you cook and a cast-iron surface that is easy to clean.
You can also enjoy cooking with your oven, as this item is completely oven-safe, so you can quickly cook up a pizza or a roast turkey using this cast iron griddle. In addition, the thick cast iron material is durable and sturdy enough to last a lifetime if treated with proper care.
About 300 Amazon reviews have agreed to a 4.4-star rating on average for this item, particularly its versatility, consistent heat distribution, and ease of cleaning. So whether you use it on your kitchen stove, portable smokeless grill, or on your barbecue, this cast iron griddle by Backcountry does not disappoint when it comes to a smooth cooking experience. See what customers are saying using the link below:
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle
- Excellent heat retention.
- Reversible cast iron griddle opens up more cooking opportunities.
- Pre-seasoned with natural vegetable oil, so you don’t need to bother with cast-iron seasoning surfaces.
- Easy to clean, thanks to the smooth, pre-seasoned cooking area.
- It fits over two burners for wide batch cooking capabilities.
- It becomes damaged if used in the dishwasher.
- Also, handles are small and heat up when in use.
Overall Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle Review
Another stunning black-colored reversible griddle, this time brought to you by Lodge, is made with a large grilling surface of 16.75 x 9.5 x 0.5-inches, making it great for family gatherings, groups of friends. Or simply for cooking up a big feed for yourself!
Proudly made in the USA, as we mentioned our Lodge cookware review, Lodge provides quality cast iron craftsmanship that has been passed down through generations since 1896, meaning they have the advantage of the experience on their side.
Capable of grilling, searing, broiling, frying, and baking, this cast iron griddle is pre-seasoned for a natural, easy-release finish that improves over time with every use. The Lodge reversible griddle is rated a massive 4.6-stars on Amazon by almost 17,000 reviews, making it overwhelmingly accepted. It’s praised by the people that matter the most, the everyday customers.
Highly regarded for its strong durability, superior heat retention, and versatility in use, the vast majority of comments agree with this product’s high-quality nature. See what the people are saying on Amazon here!
Best Cast Iron Griddle for Gas Stove
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle With Handles
- A large grilling surface makes it easy to cook in big batches and cater to families.
- Compatible with most stovetops, including induction cooktops.
- Large, secure-grip side handles are easy to maneuver with oven mitts.
- Even heat retention improves results with food by securing flavors and cooking thoroughly.
- Reversible and pre-seasoned cast iron griddles make the cooking process more versatile and healthy.
- Not safe for dishwashing.
- Not recommended for ceramic stovetops.
Overall Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle With Handles Review
A step above the previous Lodge griddle, this one is built with more ergonomic handles for better handling and improved safety, allowing you to hang it up in your kitchen easily. The cooking area is also slightly larger, making it even better for batch cooking and catering to larger groups of people.
Suitable as an in-home griddle pan that can rest over double stove burners, using this griddle in your kitchen is just the beginning of its potential. Take this cast iron griddle on a camping trip and cook your favorite foods over an open flame. Whether it’s fried eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, or steaks and sausages, this cast iron pan and griddle is bound to make your camping trip that much more epic!
Easy to clean and easy to use, this premium cast iron cookware piece from Lodge was rated by over 12,000 customer reviews for an impressive 4.6-star rating. This means the vast majority had a convincingly positive experience with it. The most notable features as nominated by the people are its durability, versatility, and heat distribution.
To read more about the praise for this product (and occasional complaints), check out the comments section using this link!
Legend Cast Iron Griddle for Gas Stovetop
- Highly durable premium-grade steel and cast iron griddle will last a lifetime with proper care.
- Suitable on gas, induction, electric coil, or an open campfire.
- Reversible with flat surface grill and groovy griddle pan side.
- Pre-seasoned with vegetable oil, so you don’t need to add any excess fat to your cooking.
- Integrated curved handles are ergonomic and work well even with mitts on.
- It heats fast and will cook evenly with low heat, allowing you to save energy.
- No toxic coating and adds iron to food naturally, helping with daily nutritional needs.
- It becomes more non-stick naturally over time the more it is used.
- “Forever” return policy gives you a lifetime warranty.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Handles heat up during cooking. Use mittens!
Overall Legend Cast Iron Griddle for Gas Stovetop Review
The Lodge series of cast iron griddles are made especially for gas stovetops. They are made of premium-grade steel combined with durable cast iron that can withstand open flames without receiving any degree of damage. In fact, over time, these cast iron griddles improve in their non-stick properties as the pre-seasoning starts to spread more thoroughly through the course of the grilling surface.
This griddle is built with a large cooking area of 20 x 10-inches. It’s perfect for catering for large family gatherings, groups of friends, or a big feed for yourself! It comes complete with pre-seasoning and reversible plates for different uses. In addition, the griddle pan is even more durable than aluminum cookware, making it perfect for camping trips, outdoor barbecues, or cooking over double stove burners at home!
It is backed by a lifetime of warranty through Legend’s “forever warranty” return policy. This product does more than just deliver incredible cooking results but also guarantees the quality is there for life. You never have to deal with any defects related to manufacturing or materials.
Additionally, this premium cast iron cookware piece is rated 4.5-stars from a staggering 3,700 Amazon reviewers. It is overwhelmingly praised for its durability, heat distribution, and value for money. You can read all about these reviews here:
Camp Chef Reversible Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Griddle
- Pre-seasoned and ready to use straight out of the box.
- Fits all Camp Chef 16-inch stoves.
- Reversible as a griddle pan or flat surface, expanding options for cooking.
- Side handles make it easier to move around, suitable for camping trips.
- It retains heat well and provides an even and thorough cook for your food.
- A little heavy at 22 pounds.
- Handles are quite small/tight and don’t stay cool when heating.
Overall Camp Chef Reversible Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Griddle Review
Coming in with a cooking surface of 16 x 24-inches, Camp Chef’s pre-seasoned cast iron griddle pan is perfect for camping trips with friends and family. It allows for a cozy group meal and promoting social interaction with loved ones and colleagues. You can turn the pan upside down to select between a smooth surface for cooking delicate foods like eggs and pancakes.
Then, turn it over for searing meats such as steaks and chicken breasts.
Pre-seasoned and ready to use straight out of the box, you can enjoy the flexibility of cooking surfaces with this reversible cast iron griddle. Over time, the surface will become even more non-stick with each use, meaning this Camp Chef cast iron griddle will age like fine wine for an exponentially pleasant cooking experience.
The pan’s seasoning means you don’t need to add any fatty oils before cooking, and you can also enjoy non-toxic results with your foods.
A 4.6-star rating validates the Camp Chef griddle by over 1,000 Amazon customer review scores. Special attention is given to durability, sturdiness, and versatility.
These stats indicate the quality material of the cast irons used in this product, with enough strength to withstand the strongest of flames and oven temperatures and truly last a lifetime of grilling. Read what people are saying about it with the following link:
Brightalk Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle
- A reversible griddle pan makes for a versatile cooking product with plenty of functionality.
- It is made using some of the best cast iron material, resulting in lasting durability and strength in cooking.
- The cooking surface is quite large, spanning 24-inches wide for a grilling area that can take on large batches of food at a time.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Pre-seasoned so that you don’t need to add too much seasoning before cooking.
- Not dishwasher-friendly.
- Pre-seasoning is not sufficient, recommended to re-season before use.
Overall Brightalk Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle Review
The Brightalk cast iron reversible griddle is an excellent solution to your cooking, barbecuing, and campfire needs. While its pre-seasoning feature is not the sharpest in the shed, it still mitigates the amount of seasoning you are recommended to add, and it makes up for this shortcoming with plenty of additional features.
The cooking surface may not be the largest on the market, but the 14.4 x 12-inch surface is more evenly distributed between length and width due to the circular shape of the griddle plate. This unique design makes it especially good for cooking pizzas, baking pies, or placing a Dutch oven of stew on top. It’s also fairly light at just over 7 pounds, which is easy to carry compared to many other cast iron griddles.
Available at a low price range, this 4.4-star cast iron reversible griddle is praised by over 200 customers for its superior heat distribution, versatility in cooking, and ease of cleaning. Simply use steel wool to scrape tough stains off the griddle. To see what people are saying about this awesome cast iron cookware by Brightalk, check out the review page on Amazon here
Broil King 11221 Cast Iron Griddle
- Large, rectangular cooking area of 15 x 12.8-inches.
- Matte porcelain coating allows for quick food release, seamless cooking, and ease of cleaning.
- Reversible cast iron griddles mean you can cook eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner by turning over the pan.
- It can withstand a hot oven at a high temperature, allowing you to use it for baking.
- Cast iron is highly durable and can last a lifetime if treated with care.
- No built-in side handles.
- Not safe for dishwasher use.
Overall Broil King Cast Iron Griddle Review
As its name suggests, the Broil King cast iron griddle is made primarily for broiling, meaning it excels in handling direct contact with heat due to a superior build of durability and strength. As such, I would highly recommend this product for camping meals on open flames or home gas stoves, as its design and material will ensure there is no damage to the surface.
About 90 Amazon reviewers have regarded this item as high-performing in heat distribution, ease of cleaning, and versatility in cooking. You can use the following link below to see the comments, praises, and complaints about this cast-iron griddle which has received an impressive 4.6-star rating:
Cuisinart CCP-1000, Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle Pan
- Pre-seasoning creates a non-stick surface for seamless cooking and cleaning via quick food release.
- Highly ergonomic handles make it extremely easy to transport and maneuver.
- The 10-inch cooking surface allows for plentiful helpings of meals to be cooked at a time.
- A deeper pan makes it more suitable for baking deep-dish foods.
- Oven safe and can withstand high temperatures.
- Cast iron pan cannot be reversed for groovy griddles, making it unsuitable for searing grill marks on the meat.
- Not safe for dishwasher use.
Overall Cuisinart Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle Pan Review
While it’s not a reversible griddle like every other product reviewed so far, this cast iron griddle pan by Cuisinart is a strong candidate for the best cast iron griddle for several reasons. First, it is equipped with super-ergonomic handles and thick padding of iron layers for durability. Second, the deeper pan means you can achieve substantial results with deep-dish foods such as deep-dish pizza, pasta bakes, or cakes and desserts.
Despite a whopping 1,600 customer reviews, this cast iron pan griddle still managed a 4.5-star Amazon rating, even considering the most negative feedback reviews. Enjoy the comments section with the link below to the review page.
Super light at just 6.58 pounds, this is indeed one of the more lightweight cast iron griddles on the market, so definitely consider it if you struggle with heavy objects. In addition, the durability of the cast iron is quite remarkable. You can enjoy long-lasting use with this item so long as you use it following its guidelines. To learn more about what this brand offers, see our Cuisinart Cookware review.
Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill/Griddle Combo
- A renowned and trusted brand of metal manufacturing means cast iron is of top grade.
- Safe for oven baking and broiling over gas stoves and open campfires.
- Oversized handles for ergonomic lifting with gloves or towel.
- Reversible and pre-seasoned.
- Fairly large cooking area.
- Full lifetime warranty included.
- Handles heat up when cooking.
- Not safe for dishwasher use.
Overall Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill/Griddle Combo Review
Rated 4.1-stars on Amazon by 230 global reviews, I am honestly surprised it hasn’t received a higher rating, though this score is still overwhelmingly affirmative in the positive. As expected, the main selling point according to the customers is its value for money.
This is not a far-fetched call because the quality of Calphalon is not to be trifled with, and many would expect to pay a lot more for its cast iron pans and griddles. See what people are saying about this cast iron griddle with the link to Amazon’s review page below:
As one of the most reputable brands of metal manufacturing in the USA, Calphalon has made this cast iron griddle using premium materials and has provided its buyers with a lifetime guarantee to replace the item for any material or factory defects.
Reversible, pre-seasoned, and set at an affordable price, this may well be one of the best cast iron griddles you’ll find on a budget. To learn more about Calphalon’s amazing line of products, read our Calphalon cookware review.
STAUB Round Double Handle Pure Griddle, 12
- A circular cast iron pan is suitable for baking and making pizza.
- Large semi-circle grips allow for easy maneuvering even with mitts on.
- Pre-seasoned with an enamel coating to provide a non-stick surface that does not require seasoning.
- Suitable for browning and flipping with easy-to-use handles and deeper dishes.
- Lightweight at just 7.37 pounds.
- Not reversible, no grill mark capabilities.
- Smaller grilling surface compared to rectangular cast iron pans.
Overall STAUB Round Double Handle Pure Griddle Review
Coming in with a circular cooking space of 12-inches diameter, this double handle pure griddle has a non-stick surface, quality metal build, and large ergonomic handles, making it one of the best-enameled cast iron pans on offer. Suitable as a wok, broiler, baking device, or general grill, the possibilities are endless with this product. It’s an excellent buy for all cast iron enthusiasts, so long as you don’t mind the lack of grooves for making grill marks.
The lightweight nature of this griddle is a great selling point for people who struggle with heavy objects. In addition, you’ll find it relatively easy to store this thing with its large curved handles, which can be hung up on a hook or simply stored in a compact space. Built to last a lifetime, the STAUB pure griddle is rated a whopping 4.7-stars on Amazon, though only by about 30 reviews. You can learn more about them in our Staub cookware review.
Nonetheless, it’s a solid score so far and the people are quite happy with its ability to distribute the heat source evenly. See what customers are saying using the link below:
Misen Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Thick cast iron core with top-tier enamel coating.
- Large handles are ergonomic and easy to handle with mitts.
- High heat-friendly and durable to last a lifetime.
- 60-day test drive and lifetime guarantee.
- Available in a variety of color schemes.
- Not reversible for a flat surface.
- Small cooking space.
Overall Misen Cast Iron Grill Pan Review
As one of the youngest brands of cast iron manufacturing, Misen is a 2017 company that quickly rose the ranks as one of the best in American cookware providing. Large ergonomic handles and a smaller surface mean it’s easy to use and easy to store in small compact places. Available in various colors and at a low price range, the Misen cast iron griddle pan may be just what you need.
Ideal for cooking indoors or outdoors, I’d recommend this pan for either gas stove or campfire cooking, as the durable cast iron can withstand high temperatures without receiving damage from open flames. Unfortunately, this griddle is not reversible, so there is no flat side, meaning I would not recommend it for cooking pancakes or frying eggs.
On the other hand, the enamel pre-seasoning makes it easy to cook meats and vegetables and relatively easy to clean with cold water. Read more about Misen’s product lines at our Misen Pans review.
Cast Iron Buying Guide
Pre-Seasoned or Not?
Pre-seasoning refers to the additional coating usually made with vegetable oil or equivalent to a permanent non-stick solution. Of course, you can always opt to add your own seasoning before cooking, but with pre-seasoning, you not only save on resources, but you get healthier results with your food.
Enameled Or Uncoated
I would recommend coating with enamel for the best non-stick results for your cast-iron cookware. In addition, enamel is free of toxicity and harmful chemicals, so I’d recommend this coating for healthier cooking that’s eco-friendly.
A thin layer of griddle often means the heat will transfer faster through the cookware and may overheating or burning your food. So I’d recommend something with enough thickness for lasting durability but not too thick to hinder heat transfer. Anywhere around an inch or two would be a sufficient level of iron cladding for your griddle.
If possible, find something with a silicone handle cover that won’t heat up as you cook so that you can forgo the need for mitts or hand towels.
Large Cooking area
I’d usually say the larger, the better for the cooking area, but sometimes you’d benefit more with something smaller if you need to travel with your griddle or store it in tighter spaces. On the other hand, if you plan to cook batches of food for catering purposes, you’ll want a larger cooking area.
Size and Weight
It’s hard to compromise on size and weight with griddles, especially the reversible ones, but consider the circular, smaller ones (such as the Misen griddle) if you are bothered by slightly heavy objects.
Heat Retention and Distribution
A cast iron griddle always retains heat well and distributes evenly, but be sure that this is mentioned in the brand’s product description for best results.
How to clean a cast-iron Griddle?
1st step: Remove any detachable parts.
2nd Step: Prepare a damp cloth with warm water.
3rd Step: Wipe down thoroughly and use steel wool if necessary. (Do not use dishwasher)
4th Step: Leave out to dry.
Cast Iron Griddle FAQ
Is a cast iron griddle good?
Yes, cast iron skillets, pans, and griddles are highly durable, strong, and retain heat well.
Is a griddle the same as cast iron?
No, a griddle is a piece of equipment made of any suitable material, whereas cast iron is simply a durable metal used to make griddles or other cookware.
What do you use a cast iron griddle for?
Cast iron griddles have many uses from grilling, broiling, searing, and pan-frying, and they excel against open flames.
What is the best-cast iron griddle to buy?
These are all indeed among the best cast iron griddles, but a winner must be chosen. I have decided to go with Calphalon’s Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill/Griddle Combo. With its stunning black design and metal made by the best manufacturer in the US, it’s unbelievable how affordable it is.
It ticks all the boxes in terms of what we discussed. It has the right thickness of about an inch, and it’s reversible, durable, ergonomic, and pre-seasoned. You can’t ask for much more. Oh, wait, yes, you can! Calphalon gives you a lifetime of support to have your item replaced for defects at no charge. So what are you waiting for? Grab your Calphalon cast iron griddle today!